Thursday, October 30, 2008

Teaching and Learning with Molly


I've spent the last two Tuesdays and the last two Thursdays as Molly's preschool teacher. 7 other students and one other daughter (Lucy stayed home to have Mom teach her too) were with us as we discovered the color orange, did a lot of cutting and patterning, celebrated Halloween, and generally learned from each other. I've enjoyed the experience a lot. Though my ever present need for greater patience was a looming interruption to the flow of my thoughts, I felt it was good to see how Molly interacts with the children she calls her friends and in an environment that is different from the "go play with Lucy while I clean up the kitchen" that is the general hum of our life together.

Molly wasn't perfect while I was her teacher. Time out on her bed happened once, and comments about why we don't use potty words with our preschool friends were frequently delivered (by me, to Molly, not visa versa). However, I learned a lot in observing My Molly over the course of my teaching turn. She is bright, very bright, and she likes to be engaged in projects that tap into her smarts and her wit. She has good fine motor skills, and it was a pleasure every time I watched her spell her own name and use the scissors to her advantage. Molly is learning to talk instead of scream (this is a long time coming) and I've found recently that if I come upon her in mid-scenario (like, two daughters are crying and it seems there has been a scuffle) I can see that she is truly trying to work things out without becoming infantile. That is a big step for her, and I am feeling a measure of respect and quiet respect for her that I've hoped and prayed for over the last little while. She is still our little Ms. Wiggles, and she can scream with the best of them (especially if she is made to ride in the car for long stretches at a time), but she's coming right along. And I'm proud of her. And, as always, I'm glad to call her mine.

So love my Molly girl, so happy to learn from her these last two preschool weeks.

No comments: