Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Reason You Make Your Own Lunches


My mom made my lunch for me. She almost had to, as we were newspaper boys and girls; waking up before the sun to fold, bag and throw the day's happenings onto the porches of our neighbors. Once we were home it was a mad dash to dress, breakfast and deliver ourselves to our classrooms before the tardy bell (in my memory we were late every day...but there were no truency officers at our house so that memory is a clouded one). Mom was awesome to do for us what we weren't getting done for ourselves.

But every day, it was tuna. My back pack smelled like tuna. My books smelled like tuna. My homework smelled like tuna-and sometimes like pickles if the day's sandwich was so embellished.

By Junior High I couldn't stomach tunafish. And I think to this day I have not served a can to any of you at lunchtime.

Each morning you complain and fit throw that you make your lunches before you leave our home. There are some perameters; protein, carbohydrate, fruit, vegatable, drink. Once a week you enjoy your choice of a variety of potato chips. Once a week you take 'dessert'. Once a week your drink is chocolate milk. But you choose the filling of your sandwiches. You choose the flavor of your juice box. You even pick lunchsack, lunchbox or target sack (Mason's favorite) to carry your confections.

Amidst your complaints, I want you to understand. I do not have a paper route to use to teach you the value of learning how to work. Your morning chores; piano, bed making, room straightening and picking up your things; are the ways I can show you that we must labor to be happy and feel satisfied. And the choosing is the reason that I have you make your lunch. Not only do you work a bit, but you have the power of choice. Something my mother could not give me; (tuna was the affordable option; and the family I grew up in had to be concerned with affordability. Bless my mother for all the ways she knew how to stretch a dollar. My parents did so well for us, giving us everything that was most important and sacrificing for our welfare).

I hope when you write the fuzzy memories of your growing up you will have some kind words to say about lunch making. And about morning chores. Maybe as you search out ways to teach your children work you will bless your mornings of bed making and picking up around the house.

And I hope you will appreciate the sweet smelling power of choice that was offered you as you made your lunch each and every morning.

2 comments:

Tami said...

Great post! I too have my kids make their own lunches each day. I have friends who do it for their kids, but I got tired of hearing about all the food they were throwing away. It is nice to know that they pack what they eat. Though, I do sometimes add to my 1st graders slim pickings, as he shares that he isn't that hungry at 10:30 when they eat lunch. :-)

Jody said...

I remember being embarassed to take home made, thick, hand sliced sandwiches, instead of wonder bread sandwiches. Man what I would give for a thick sliced sandwich today. Funny how things change.