Thursday, September 20, 2012

Madi in real time

 Madi helped organize a party for all the girls in her 7th grade class. She was o.k. with being in charge, but she like just being one of the girls BEST.

 Madi and Bryn show their Jr. High schedules: the girls are back at the same school for a year before Bryn moves up to High School and they couldn't be happier :)

 The mustache craze has not been worn out on this girl; she loves it

The braces came off just a week before school started, look at that beautiful girl!


Madi is magnificent in many many ways. She is also, unfortunately, a 'tween'. And she takes that sorry fact out on her mom pretty much every day.

She is cutting the apron strings. 

But even though I don't get to hear much from Madi these days unless it is a complaint or a criticism, I can tell you about all the amazing things I am seeing this girl do and become.

Madi is compassionate. She has always been able to sit herself in someone else's shoes. She says hello to the lonely, cheers up the sad, and seeks the stranger. Her friends are not always the most popular girls, but the girls who are her friends are loyal kind and fiercely grateful for Madi.

Madi is talented. Her voice is incredible; a mix between Ingrid Michealson and Regina Spektar. She can trill and slide that clear high sound into so many incredible lilts and larks - and we hear it from morning til night. Recently I had to put my foot down and call a curfew to 'radio music' during study time in the afternoon. This did not sit well with Madi as she spends most moments playing and replaying Florence and the (?) songs and singing perfectly with them. Madi is also gifted at the piano...her fingers are as fast as her vocal chords. She is at her best when the notes move quickly and frequently across the keyboard. And she recently decided to teach herself how to play the guitar too. 

Madi is smart. She is learning the art and key of personal organization, but on sheer brains alone she has been admitted to our Jr. High's gifted program and is mastering it very well. Her teachers are impressed with how articulate she is, able to express herself and explain her viewpoint clearly and persuasively. Madi is impressive to me as a writer-her stories and essays are so well crafted for a girl of her age. I hope words and writing become something she can use to explain and express herself all her life long (like mother like daughter? For my sake I hope so!)

Madi is funny. Seriously so funny! She is quick to a punchline, she has silly voices and expressions the just ooze out of her cute smiley mouth and she isn't afraid to make herself look a little silly to get a good laugh. It is always fun to get her going and see the ways she can come up with to get a giggle out of others.

Madi is trying new things. She made a competition soccer team last spring and has been learning how to pick up her game and make skills out of talent. It has been challenging for her, she has already had some bumps and bruises, but she is loyal to her team and happy to have left swimming behind for this more team centered sport.

Madi's testimony is growing. I have been so impressed as she has enjoyed beehive camp and girl's camp this summer that she was willing to share her feelings about God with others. She mentioned how strongly she felt the holy ghost bear witness to her at girls camp that the gospel of Jesus Christ is true.  I hope as she continues to show faith and be obedient to the commandments we have been given she will gain an unshakable testimony that will be stability for her in the shaky world of being a teenager. These are the critical years for our youth. Their decision to believe or to step away so often happens in Jr. high when its easy to make choices that bring sorrow instead of joy. I'm so glad Madi is making those decisions that confirm the peace that comes when we follow the example of Jesus Christ. I'm happy for Madi to be learning and growing.

Madi is magnificent. I'm so glad I get to be her mom. Even though its a little rocky right now I am so proud of her and so grateful my life is filled with her laughter, her music, her talents and, well, just HER...

2 comments:

Becky said...

Hi Katie,
I have been reading your blog ever since I googled Dick and Sue Jacobsen and one of the hits was your blog, so I came across it by accident, and I’ve enjoyed reading it. Then I saw who your parents are, and it didn’t surprise me. We used to live in their neighborhood, and I still remember when, after I had been in the hospital for some surgery, your mom brought me dinner from a crock pot after she had been working all day. Anyway, I love this post because I too have a daughter from whom about all I hear is a complaint or criticism, and I love the positive attitude you take, how you see her potential and all the wonderful things about her, not just the difficult parts. So thank you, and say Hi to your great parents.

Becky said...

Hi Katie,
I have been reading your blog ever since I googled Dick and Sue Jacobsen and one of the hits was your blog, so I came across it by accident, and I’ve enjoyed reading it. Then I saw who your parents are, and it didn’t surprise me. We used to live in their neighborhood, and I still remember when, after I had been in the hospital for some surgery, your mom brought me dinner from a crock pot after she had been working all day. Anyway, I love this post because I too have a daughter from whom about all I hear is a complaint or criticism, and I love the positive attitude you take, how you see her potential and all the wonderful things about her, not just the difficult parts. So thank you, and say Hi to your great parents.