Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Anniversary Weekend and Blueberry Pie


Because he loves me, he cooks for me...


It was our anniversary Sunday, so we farmed the kids out to cousins and friends and spent the night together in our very own home. While I attended to church responsibilities John cooked a magnificent meal; tomato tower with basil and vinegar, squash soup with homemade stock, beet ravioli in beet sauce, salmon in cardamom broth and blueberry pie with homemade lemon sorbet for dessert.

John loves to cook. He loves the chemistry of it. He loves the preciseness of it. He loves the presentation of it. He loves it as a gesture. He cooks for people he loves; a coconut pie for my mom's birthday, Thanksgiving feasts each year for his own mom, and tomato soup or blueberry pie or crab cakes for me. It is an outward expression for him of an inward desire to care for another. Think of those scenes in Spanglish or No Reservations where the chef expresses passion and love through the divine tastings in his/her kitchen...

It is a beautiful thing.

I have had to come to terms with it though; with the process, the mess, the time that it all takes. It has evolved over the course of our marriage to the point where I can receive all that he is giving when he is giving me a nice meal.

Sometimes I wish I was the one cooking. But I know the end result would just not be the same. The love that he feels for cooking can be tasted in each and every bite. Its part of the reason the meals are amazing. And I cannot equal that.

The rest of our weekend consisted of a long walk in the dark. A late morning in bed. A lingering stroll through the cooking store. Then back to our kids and our life with them. It was short but so sweet to spend time remembering that our life together started with only two of us, and that we are glad that life has grown to include an entire bunch.

Happy anniversary John. I loved our weekend together. Thank you for the blueberry pie. I ate the last piece for breakfast. With each bite I thought of you and all you do to show me you are glad you chose me all that time ago. I'm so glad I chose you too! I'm the luckiest girl in the world to be by your side forever!

1 comment:

Tami said...

Happy Anniversary! What a great weekend and that menu sounds awesome!