Friday, March 02, 2007

This Year’s Attempt

I run three days a week with two really great, really fun, really well-read women. They impress me with every conversation about the latest read and all they gleaned from the pages of some fantastic novel. Both moms, both busy, both of them have made reading a necessary part of their lives. I want to be just like them when I grow up and read something of value every day, but my reading habit is definitely at this time in its infancy-lots of growing up yet to do.

About once a year I resolve to read a book-don’t get me wrong, I want to read all the time. I can’t walk into a book store because I spend so much time just reading the book jackets of all the books I’d like to read. I’d like to read many different kinds of book; novels, history books, books about politics, books about religion, tons of books about parenting. But, at this point in my life reading is not part of the daily routine (unless I count magazine reading in the bathroom…it’s a stretch but its about all I’ve got). When I do reach for literature, my true inclination is to read the Sunday school lesson for the coming week’s discussion or the newspaper on line just so I can keep tabs on who is the current president and what the weather’s going to be like this week. But every once in a while I step outside myself and I pick up a regular book, and decide I’m going to read it.

Often, said book is a kid’s novel. Something I want to see if my kids would enjoy, something not too long, something that is full of fun and not too heavy (Aretmis Fowel is a favorite). This year, as I was taking my cub scouts on a tour of our local library, I found this book peaking out of the children’s history and reference section. A kid’s book about world history; it perfectly satisfied the guilt pangs that my yearly read should help me improve my understanding about the world and the yearning for something juvenile to page through and complete. I checked it out. 3 weeks to finish 300 pages. I was sure I could do it.

But, I didn’t. The due date came and I was about 34 pages into the bronze age when it was time to take my year’s attempt at literature back to whence it came. I did learn why we call it the bronze age, and I know the book was totally read-worthy, written by a brilliant Austrian many years ago and just recently translated into English, a really worth while endeavor. But, try as I did I just couldn’t get through it in my allotted time, and renewing the book would only have prolonged the day when the unread book went back to the library. I drove up to the library drop off bin and slid my year’s book down the chute. Another year’s attempt at reading, failed.

Next morning as we jogged along the dark neighborhood streets I asked my friends (for the thousandth time) when they ever find the time to read. “I have a block of time when the boys are at school and my daughter is having her nap. I set a time limit and read until then, after that I have to scurry around and do my chores” was the response from one. The other explained that reading was something she fit into her life every day, no matter what. She has to read. Wow.

I hope someday I have the self discipline to read instead of do laundry or leave the dishes for 15 minutes while I fit in a chapter. I would be a better writer, a more balanced person, a more complete conversationalist. But instead I try a page here and there and send unread books back to the library on their due date. Maybe next year I’ll actually finish, and my reading habit will grow just a bit. Boy, would I like that!

5 comments:

Betsy said...

I love to read. I used to end up ignoring the rest of my life while I read my current novel. But I have found a better solution. I get books on cd from the library. I usually get one that I like but I know that the kids won't. Then I get one that both the kids and I will like. I leave one in the car and the other in the player in the kitchen. When I am chauffering kids to school, practice, church, scouts etc. we listen to the kids story. An added benefit is that the kids are quieter listening and it cuts down on the choas. Then at home I listen to my story while I do dishes, ironing, bathrooms etc. The audio books also serve as incentive to do my chores. This way i get to "read" many more books than I really have time for. And there are so many available at the library now. Books on cd are also our family's solution to car trip entertainment.

Julia said...

Great minds think alike...i came in to comment specifically that you need to discover audio books. If you can't get the ones you want from the library, and find yourself going through them at a good clip as you iron/bake/wash/mop your way through the day, then check out audible.com for the downloadables. put them on your ipod and listen all over the house. I think Betsy's idea of one for the kids and one for you is terrific. And all the good books are on cd or digital these days. And we have the coolest library system here--i request a ton of stuff and when it comes in it's so convenient to pick it up and enjoy. I know you can find a way to get more literature in your life. and at the end of it all, you won't regret not mopping the floor that time you opted to sit and read. Feed your mind and soul no matter what!

Jess said...

Um, do either of these moms have SIX kids? I'm just saying :)

Love Jess

Betsy said...

I have four kids (three with attention and/or austistic spectrum disorders). Does that count?

Bonnie said...

Speaking for my mom here; I have one brother. I have trouble enough with him, I don't know if I could handle any more siblings!

Bonnie