Monday, December 17, 2007

Thinking of Jenna

Right about this time one year ago John and I received an exciting phone call. It was time for us to sign the papers that would Make Eowyn Celeste McCardell our Molly Elizabeth Eowyn Graham. We were happily hosting one of our favorites, Jenna, who had come from Boise to “help me” at Christmas time. With Lucy still a new baby to us, John working long hours in the retail cookie sales business (we are missing those lovely ginger snap cookies this holiday season I must admit) and lots to do before Christmas, Jenna was a gift from heaven to our family that week (and any other time she is with us). She wrapped most of the Christmas gifts, helped me run errands and even helped me and my mom-in-law complete John’s Christmas gift. Because of Jenna’s presence, I could safely leave the little girls home with her, meet John at the downtown office for LDS Family services and sign those blessed papers.

Our best, most favorite and most special Christmas gift had come a little early in the way of our Molly’s adoption; though it would take a minor battle with her birthfather before our court-date could be set, we were on the road to officially having 6 kids by putting our John Hancock on the dotted lines in the office that day.

And Jenna was a big part of that.

Not only was Jenna available to save the day as our last minute babysitter on signing day, but she and her family (hello Boise neighbors who I love and miss!) were a big part of Molly’s well-being and happiness for the two years that led up to the signing of those papers that day. When Molly arrived in our home, 8 lbs. and still very new to this world, Jenna and her mom were there. Once a week for at least six months; on Thursday nights to be exact, Molly had a standing date in the Johnson home. Cuddled, loved, talked to, bathed, fed, played with; you name it, the Johnsons did it. They brought a little struggling infant to life. Their love and affection brought Molly (then called Winnie) out of a dark beginning and into a light filled life of love and warmth. Molly’s face lit up whenever a Johnson was present, and in our close little neighborhood that was a frequent occurrence!

I’m missing you Johnsons, I love you Jenna (And Susie, and Dave and Nate and Ridge and Carrine!!!). On Molly’s “paper signing anniversary” I’m thinking of you, and the huge part you played in the beginning of our life with Molly.

Wish you could help us wrap the Christmas presents this year Jenna. Might be a little more fun here as we could fit in a safari and a shopping trip to the flea market in between scissors, ribbon and tape. Maybe next year, huh?

(darling photo of Jenna and Molly to follow, as soon as John is able to help me pull it off of his computer :)

1 comment:

Gayle said...

With all the sadness of my Mom passing away and the rush and travel and Christmas, I forgot about that special day! I remember being in the game store at Cottonwood Mall when you called me and told me Elizabeth had called to tell you to go ahead with the adoption. I went out to the mall entrance and cried and gave thanks. Being with you all this Christmas in Africa it was wonderful to see all the kids and how they interact with each other. It was totally natural that Molly was right there in the middle of all the noise (oh my, that scream!) and the excitement and the fun. So grateful for that day last year that completed your family. Love you all! Grandma Noodle