Tuesday, May 05, 2009

He's 14 and we are in Utah!



They closed school on Friday afternoon due to the scare of flu pandemic. One week off, without penalty of making it up when school should be getting out for summer (yippee!) I called John (who was in Utah) and told him we were coming. He flew home (as he does every Friday, mostly) and I packed the car. Next morning we OPENED PRESENTS for Mason's 14th birthday (his best gift? NO SCHOOL for a week, and lots of sour candy for him to eat while he sat in the car!), and then we all crammed in our car. John drove

and drove
and drove

and I drove some too, until we couldn't drive any more. We slept in a church parking lot for 2 or 3 hours and then we drove a little more
and then we arrived. Te be here instead of Texas, and to try and find a house where we can LIVE and be happy.

And this morning John had to do the work he does, so he got on a plane and left, for the rest of the week. And we are here, the kids and I, to explore a town we used to know and hug our family and friends and feel our way around this valley until we find a place in it that feels like home.

4 comments:

Tami said...

Yeah! Have a great week! I am a bit jealous of your second spring break. Have Fun!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mason. I remember when you were first born. You would cry and cry and unless your mom bounced you up and down in her arms. Do you remember that Katie? Maybe it only lasted a week, but it is still a fun memory:) Happy house hunting.

Tricia said...

Hooray for no school and for spring in Utah!!! Let us know if you need anything...we'd love to see you sometime. I think Draper has your name written all over it...farms and chickens and bike trails throughout...give it a look!

girlsmama said...

Welcome home! While I call Utah valley home, I'm sure SL valley has some pluses. But I'd highly recommend coming a little south!