Tuesday, March 02, 2010

All This Week; Life in the Trenches of Mothering...


Molly and Lucy have a new afternoon past time. Riding with me in the car as I shuttle kids from rugby, swimming or dance. Soccer starts soon too-sigh.

Molly got the mail yesterday before she hopped in the car. Here was the conversation between she and Lucy as the parused the J.Crew Catalog;

"Molly! I want a turn with that book!" Lucy wants a peek at the new spring looks
"This magazine is just a little boring, Lucy, its only full of mom's style" 'mom's style' is said with a tone of "yucky'
"Molly! GIVVE MEE THAT BOOOKKK!" Little Lucy cries
"You don't really want it Lucy, it is so boring" Molly slyly smiles because she is holding something her sister wants, though she clearly doesn't care for ruffled t-shirts and expensive flats...
"Mommy she won't give me a TURN!!!" Lucy screams in tearful desperation

I negotiate a few moments for Lucy to see for herself.

"Your right Molly. Mom's style is really boring" Lucy determines after she pages the style filled catalogue.

Sometimes, the things you think are cutting edge cool, are only old fashioned boring to your kids. But I bet in their high school days, my girls will be rummaging my closet for the few J.Crew pieces that now grace the pages of the boring book from the car.

Stand by your style, mothers, even if your children mock and scorn.

1 comment:

Jenny and Josh said...

I proudly wear one of our moms skirts from the 80's and I get tons of compliments when I do! What goes around comes around :)