Wednesday, June 30, 2010

On to the Wasatch Back...


The Graham Family Car became 'Van 1' for the duration of our race.


The 6 if us in the first van of runners shared a total of 27 kids. We each tatooed the names and ages of our progeny on the windows of the car like a badge of honor.


That's me, far right, with butterflies in my stomach before my last run. I covered about 19 miles on my 3 "legs" of the race. The last was my most challenging. An 8 mile run with a huge elevation gain, about 4 miles of the run was straight up. The discouragement set in at about mile 3, but then I saw a deer climb straight up the mountainside, and I figured if he could do it, so then could I. That motivation was short lived, by mile 4 I was really sagging. My team mates pulled over at about mile 5 and put on our "team costume" tu-tus to cheer and wave me on. That was the lift my spirits needed, I almost cried at their efforts to encourage me. I finished my leg 15 minutes ahead of the time I had set as a goal for my run. As I crossed the finish line and checked my watch for my time I started to scream with joy for the way "I won!" that 8 mile leg of the race.

All the runners in our van live within a 2 mile radius near the Spruces. It was fun to get to know girls who are no longer just neighbors, but now friends.


And she is the reason I ran it at all. My dear friend Erin, From our Pacer Way days. Erin organized EVERYTHING, from the estimated times, to the volunteers for our team, even the color coordinated shirts at the finish line. She had the cool hats made, and made the tu-tus herself. And a "goody bag" filled with baby wipes and chapstick and other essential and not-so-essential items were handed to each of us by her. She made the race possible, and then she made it fun. I am in awe of the way this woman thinks of details, and of her friendship toward me and her goodness toward all.

Crazy busy summer continued when I joined Erin and some neighbor girls on the Wasatch Back Relay. This is my 4th relay, and it was one for the record books. My runs were as fast as they ever will be, I got to shower and sleep in a bed for a few of the 36 hours it took our team of 11 women to run 188 miles. The weather was spectacular. The company fantastic. Yep, I think this can be my final Ragnar...but I've learned to never say never....

1 comment:

Liz said...

Wow! Congrats on a huge accomplishment!