Wednesday, July 21, 2010

She Wowed me..




notes of admiration and encouragement were plastered on the front door about an hour after the movie ended. Maybe next time Bryn won't leave by herself. Maybe her actions will encourage another to walk along with her in the future.


Brynley went to a birthday party. All the girls met at a local restaurant.
An hour into the festivities I got a phone call from the birthday girl's mother.
All the girls were going to a movie.
It was rated PG-13.
All the girls are 12 or under.
The mom was explaining that, uh hem, Brynley didn't feel good about going.
The mom then explained to me all the reasons it was o.k. that she did go (not a lot of swearing, good message, not a lot of kissing and on and on...).
I thanked the mother.
I asked for Bryn.
I said "wow, Bryn, what a tough spot. What do you want to do?" At this point I expected Brynley to tell me she wanted to go, she didn't want to get in trouble for wanting to go, and would I please understand and let her go.

Brynley said, "I don't feel like I should go."
I asked "want me to come and get you?"
she said, "no, they can bring me home..."

a little while later Bryn came skipping in. Smile on her face, relief in her eyes.
"You can always tell your friends your mom wouldn't let you..." i said, wanting to give support and help her out a little.
she said, "MOM! We take responsibility for the choices we make..."
No excuses for Brynley.
It was her choice to stand alone.
It was my privilege to stand with her.

That girl, she really wowed me. I'm so impressed by her. I'm so glad she walks before the other girls (and boys) in our home, showing them a better way.

9 comments:

Carin Davis said...

WOW!!!!
I am so proud of her and I am not even related!

Sharon said...

Impressive, Brynley -- and also how you asked her what she wanted to do before rushing in to handle the situation yourself. See, this is why I read your blog!

bludworths said...

Way to go Brynley! You rock!!!
I tried to catch you guys one day while we were in Utah last week, but alas, you weren't home! Hope all is well! We miss you guys!

Tami said...

That is awesome! It brought tears to my eyes. Such a payday for you, to know that what you have taught her has really taken effect.

Jenny and Josh said...

Holy cow I am am SO proud of her! Tears in my office proud! Words can't describe proud! Can't even image how your heart was bursting with happiness and pride Katie!
Big hug coming her way when I see her on Saturday!

Elder Ostergar said...

Love that girl more everyday! What a great example to her friends and to all of us! Bryn you Rock!!!

The Yosts said...

What a great example she is!

amanda jane said...

I feel so honored that my girls get to rub shoulders with her. wow just doesn't cover it. incredible.

Tricia said...

what a remarkable girl!