Friday, June 10, 2011

Away She Goes...


ready for travel, Madi checks in at the airport


With her team mate and neighbor, these darling girls are ready for take off into the wild blue yonder


The winning team just after their title is awarded. The trophy is too big for the school's trophy case!

Last April Madi and three of her classmates wowed us all by winning the State's "Future Problem Solvers" Competition. This competition involves a scenario that is based on a general topic (this year's topic was 'water quality'). Teams take the scenario, broaden it by identifying 16 'problems' that need to be solved because of the scenario. Then 16 solutions to those problems are identified. Then the kids go from broad to NARROW, choosing ONE of those problem/solution pairs and going into great detail about both the problem and its solution. Then they present their findings.

Pretty smarty pants amazing, huh?

We were all surprised and delighted when this team of smart good kids took the championship. I was even MORE surprised to learn that with that winning placement came the responsibility to participate in the International competition, in June, in Wisconsin.

Plane rides, dorm accomadations, rented cars and chaperones. The non-parental kind of chaperone.

I FELT NERVOUS.

I considered going along. I asked the other mothers if they were going to go. Nope. Not going.

I asked Madi if she wanted me to go. Nope. Didn't want me.

She didn't want me to go...

I've always been determined to raise independent children. I want them to be able to think for themselves. To be able to solve their problems. To feel confident learning about themselves in new situations. To have confidence in travel.

I guess I've been successful.

The night before Madi left, I was with my sisters and parents. Longing to get home to my soon to be gone daughter, I excused myself and began to head home. A tear or two fell as I told my dad why I was leaving...

"Madi leaves tomorrow for her competition. She'll be traveling without me." (tear, tear, tear)
"She'll be fine Katie" said my loving Father.
"I know she will, but Daddy, she is only 11"!
"But, Katie, she's no ordinary 11 year old"

Dad is always so right.

Madi has been gone now for a couple of days. We don't get her home until Monday night. Each morning and night (and often during the day) I pray that Madi is having an amazing experience. That she is learning the rely on the things we have taught. That she feels the comfort of the Holy Ghost if any thoughts of home tug at her heartstrings. I don't care if she wins the competition. I only care that she - when she's back home with me - feels happy she went and she learned.

No comments: