Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Halloween Review

Lucy: 'Asian Princess'
Molly: 'Fairytale Princess'
Porter: 'Ute Football Player' second year running
Madi: 'Pink Lady'


Mason: Indian with small date. Though I had sworn off costumes for anyone older than 12, Mason was asked to the girls choice masquerade ball, so we crafted a costume for him


I have said many times that I do not like Halloween.
It is true.
I think it is expensive.
I think it glorifies violence and just plain scary stuff.
And I think it takes LOTS of time to prepare costumes, parties and parades when the thing we celebrate-the origin of the day-is the warding off of evil spirits, or the celebration of them.

Yuck.

But here is the one thing I do like:

I like to trick or treat with my kids.

I don't ask for candy.
But I do say hello to my neighbors.
And I always meet someone I didn't know before who lives just down (or up, or around the) the street from me.
And I do talk to my children as we walk.
And I see them say hello to their friends, to their church teachers, and to others who know and love them.

That's what I like about this day.





1 comment:

Sharon said...

I have one sis who feels as you do about Halloween. And one who is like me -- willfully ignoring the reality creepiness while gleefully embracing the silly creepy and fun of pretending to be someone completely different. As in the Osbournes. NOT hero worship. More like outrageous-not-me-funny-because-they-are-so-outrageous. At least that's how I see it. I wish our trick-or-treating was more neighborly. : )