Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Reflection


We have a daily visitor that is somewhat of an alarm clock in our home. He’s been coming to our window for over a month now, and never misses a day. His routine involves pecking away at the windowpane which is directly across from our kids’ rooms. His peck peck peck wakes Lucy and me, and as I lie in my bed and think of facing the day I am amazed by the behavior of this bird and ponder on his purpose.

At first we thought the guy was looking for food. We had seen that the blinds, which cover the window, have a beading on the bottom which to him may have looked like breakfast. But then we uncovered the window, clearing the blinds away and still the bird came back. As I observed him morning after morning, I could finally see what draws him to the window to attack each day.

He is afraid of his own reflection.

The window had been tinted, so the outside appears mirror-like. Apparently the bird has made his nest nearby, and out of fear for an enemy he pecks away at the bird he sees, but the bird he sees is none other than himself. I’m sure to Mr. feathers the reflection is terrifying; a foe who is capable, resilient and strong. A formidable enemy, who could threaten his comfortable way of life, even change the dynamics of his family structure. Something to be feared and fought. Our fear-filled feathery alarm clock exhausts him self each day in the pursuit of victory over the version of himself he sees in our mirrored window.

I wonder how many of us spend our life times fighting the reflection in us. I have a quote that is usually framed on my wall by C.S. Lewis. In his statement he puts forth that we, if we truly could see our divine potential, would be strongly tempted to worship our own reflections. He isn’t stating that we’d become vain; he is showing us the view that our spiritual potential reaches that of divinity. And that if we could see who we really are, our divine qualities would merit admiration and wonder.

But that thought is terrifying isn’t it? If we have the potential within us to have divine natures, that would mean that we would need to act with divine attributes. Attributes like charity, forgiveness, compassion and for me a sense of humor. We’d have to stand up for what’s right and in doing so often we’d have to stand alone. Sometimes we’d have to walk away from situations that seem enticing but wouldn’t become one who is striving for greatness. How frightening to accept such responsibility. How tempting to pretend that the real attributes demanded by our natures are antiquated, naive and ineffective in the sophisticated clamor of our lives.

Perhaps for most of us, when we catch glimpses of who we really are, instead of pursuing our qualities to that end we turn away, or even fight, the glory that lies within us. Pecking away at ourselves we allow all kinds of self talk and low living to taint our reflection until it is dim enough that we don’t see who we really are any more.

But it doesn’t change the reflection- down deep those worthy possibilities are still within us. We just peck away at the reflection day after day, dimming its brightness and exhausting ourselves by fighting the true nature within.

So tomorrow morning when I hear the peck peck peck of a sorry little animal who fights his own reflection I will try hard not to peck peck peck away at myself. Instead perhaps I’ll look down deep for the person I really am, and I’ll try a little harder to live like that person should live and become what that person should become.

14 comments:

Tyler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tyler said...

Katie-
Do you really know that your winged friend is in fact a male? Or are you just making a blanket assumption that because the bird is displaying what you interpret as aggressive behavior that he is infact of the male gender. It is sterotypes like these that have dogged me all of my life and keep me up at night wondering about what chance my son has in this world that is so quick to judge and assume based on gender. Not all those who are blessed with a Y chromosome are aggressive. If I came accross a reflection of myself I would try to make friends and ask about his feelings. How are we to see our divine potential when we sterotypes like these are being crammed in our faces. I would expect more from you. Gosh!

:)

Blue said...

i hope you're planning to write a book some day katie...you really have at least one great one in you, as evidenced by this post. just something to consider in all your erstwhile spare time! ;-)

fwiw, i didn't hear the same gender stereotyping in your post that tyler heard...and being something of a feminist i'm more sensitive than most to such things.

i don't know much about the birds in joburg either, but your little friend has a coloration more typical of male finches...not that it matters. it's accepted practice (except among the politically correct police) to use masculine to refer to mankind in general. ref. the scriptures. that's how i read your post anyway. regardless, great post. exceeded my expectations and inspired.

Blue said...

I always say animals as a he, even if it looks like a girl. I don't care at all. Anyway, I love the message!

-Bonnie ♥

Blue said...

(bonnie didn't realize i was logged in...she apologizes for any confusion about her comment!)
~julia ♥

Bonnie said...

Thanks! ♥

Katie said...

Ok now did you really take Tylers post seriously!! I would think you would get his sense of humor by now, the Gosh really gives it away. so laugh on because he got you!!

John said...

Ty was half right. She did assume it was a male bird, but not because of his aggression. Only a male bird would knock his head against the window day after day after day after day. Dumb bird. :)

Katie said...

I fully appreciate the stereotype comment, that it was humorous and all.To Ty's point I want to say that I assume it is a male bird because he is appearantly protecting his nest, while his mate (the mother) is sitting with the eggs. It was actually a compliment to say he was a male/father, because we've been taught that fathers are to protect their families. I didn't mean to feed into any stereotype but the one that says dads will fight for the protection of their kids...

and thanks for the book compliment. I'd love to write one someday.

Gayle said...

I loved Madison's post about this bird on Blue Rhino. So fun to see the bird and learn what he/she is really up to each day...tap,tap,tap. Great insight into the human condition Katie. how insecure we all are, even with ourselves.

Jessica said...

Thanks Katie, I needed this.

Liz said...

I'm not sure what is a better way to get ahold of you, so I thought I would try this. Frist of all I hope all is well with you and your little (or not so little) family. I think about you every now and then and wonder how it's going. I hope everyone is healthy and happy. I also wondered where you got your necklace with the the G on it. I think my friend would love one, but wasn't sure where to send her.
Fun to read your blog! You have a talent at expressing yourself...unfortunately not a Johnson trait. Oh well can't have it all right?

Katie said...

Hi Liz! Call Mandy and get my email address...then we can chat that way. The "G" came from a store in Holladay called "Nest". My parents gave me some cash for my birthday and that is how I spent it-thanks mom and dad!

Becky said...

I am offended that Liz's lack of ability to express her self on paper is labeled as a "Johnson" trait. Absolutely offended.

Katie, it sounds like you are making the best of being in Africa, which is no surprise to us all. I am certain you will leave everyone there slightly better than they were (including all those critters).