Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Thinking Ahead

I'd generally like to lynch the merchants in the States who put up Christmas Decorations right next to the Halloween candy in the stores. It is flat wrong to be thinking about how to "Deck the Halls" when your mind is racing with how to dress up the crew for School parades without blowing the budget you'd like to spend on the Christmas presents. Even we have combed the street markets and tourist traps for trappings which our kids will dawn at a Halloween gala we have planned for our neighbors and friends, and it has been an exhausting endeavor in a country that knows no TARGET.

But, truth is, we are spending Christmas in South Africa this year. An exciting and surprising prospect. And with the trimmings and trappings already being laid out in the shops of Joburg, I can see I"m gonna need a little help to get in that holiday spirit come December 1.

Let's just say the decorating motife here in SA isn't exactly, well, Pottery Barn. It is more, well, Wal Mart. But with Pottery Barn prices. I just can't bring myself to buy any of it. None of it all.

We'll pick up a little tiny fake tree and adorn it with a string of lights, we'll even hang ornaments made of zulu beads and real "authentic" SA tourist garb. Heck,I even saw some amarylis blooming in the garden shop so we'll even have something living to decorate with. But what about the rest of this cinder block house? How is it gonna look like Christmas in here, with all the zebra rugs hanging on the walls and the peach tiles and paint...

I have an idea that I REALLY want to execute. Something that will brighten up the house without breaking the bank. Something I can reuse later, and therefor justify. Sad thing is, it's gonna take your help.

Have you seen those fabric flag banners being sold in uppity catalogs? No. Well look here:



I want to make loads of these, but with fantasic fabrics that have green, red, white and even a little black. Here are some fabric ideas:



and another:



and more:







Can you imagine the possibilities? The flags would be so simple to put together, they'd fit in my suitcase so I could use them again and again. Our friend Evie is a master seamstress (she can do anything!) and is always looking for extra work. She'd be able to whip these up in no time, and I could even afford her going rate!

Trouble is, the only fabric I can find in SA is horrible. Really, if it isn't a cool african print it is really horrible.

So, can you help me find some great fabrics? Send me the links so I can buy it online and have it sent via my sister or John's office? Help me, please, to deck the halls.

I know I'm thinking too far ahead, and you are ready to lynch me through the world wide web, but if you can find a minute to help a friend I'd be ever so thankful to you

and I'd think of you each year when I pull out these flags and deck my halls.
In South Africa and even beyond.

7 comments:

amanda jane said...

Super Buzzy and Sew mama Sew are the best I have found, but In KNOW there are tons more so I will keep an eye open - Jess wil have more too.

The White House said...

HI Katie. It's Victoria the girl from the Famers Market. I might be able to help you with fabric if your interested and I sell them cheaper than the going retail price. I have to say reading about your experiences in S.A. is an inspiration to me. I think at some point in your life when you get a moment you should write a book.
Victoria

Jessica said...

Victoria!! Its KT's sister, Jessica - saw you a couple of weeks ago at the market.

Yes KT, Victoria is a great hook-up. She had these cute flags that you speak of at her booth, but for halloween, so cute Victoria.

I will email you with the websites I know about also, love you KT!

Jess

The White House said...

Katie, I went ahead and made you a flag banner. How do I get your address to sent it on to you? I will also include the pattern and some fabric at no cost, this is something I want to do for you. I've taken some pics, if you go to my blog page you'll see them posted their.
Victoria

Katie said...

Victoria, I can't tell you how kind a gesture this is. What an amazing and kind thing. Kind is the only word I can think of. You can just get the flag to one of my sisters and they'll send it on to me via John's office in Dallas. You are so dear to share your talents (and fabric) with a near stranger!

The White House said...

Katie, I can't take credit for the Halloween banner that is a purchase, by united notions (moda).
Just have them call me or email and we will have them to you.
Victoria

Betsy said...

Here are some awesome online fabric stores
http://www.reprodepot.com
http://www.purlsoho.com/purl
http://www.warmbiscuit.com


that is a great decoration idea!!