Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Our Day of Thanks...

Here are some things I missed this year:
*John cooking in the kitchen all morning
*John’s “Starters” like Crab cakes and crab cakes and, did I mention crab cakes?
*our yearly “turkey trot” through the neighborhood in an effort to promote good health and also a healthy appetite…
*Having Johns mom and brother sit at our table (they’ve been with us every year for the last 5)
*Reading my favorite Thanksgiving story, “Thank You Sarah” to my children as John makes the final preparations for our meal to begin.
*Sweater weather
*Setting my own Thanksgiving table.

Here are some things I am thankful for this year:
*Learning again that you can be thankful for the many blessings you’ve received on any continent, in any time zone, under any circumstance (even when your toddler poops in her pants at the thanksgiving table).
*That a spirit of gratitude can be cultivated and fostered even without football and parades
*that spending a special day with friends-no matter how newly made-helps the day feel brighter and more festive
*that my kids are fantastic little cooks in their own right; Mason will definitely be making our sweet potatoes every year after this year’s completely successful showing (he did it ALL by himself).
*That fresh farm cheeses and delicious breads and fruits are a nice starter too (though nothing can really bead John’s crab cakes on Thanksgiving)
*That in the end, its not about the food (can you say “butternut pie” instead of “pumpkin pie” ? Oh, I didn’t think so…) but its about the Thanks.

Let me say that last line just one more time for good measure.

In the end its not really about the food, it’s about the Thanks…

No comments: