Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Sometimes Quality Family Time=Insanity





We have been wisely counseled in our church to hold a weekly night for just our families. "Family Home Evening" is a program that has been around for forever, and for very good reason.

We have dinner together, We sing together, We pray together, we have a lesson about a gospel topic or about manners or anything mom and dad feel needs teaching to their darlings, we have an activity together (our favorite is Hide and go Seek) and we eat treats together.

Family Home evening is a righteous tradition (and yes I do mean "righteous" in that teenage slang term kind of way. Its cool to spend time actually teaching and being taught by your kids and playing with them. Every week. Righteous). And I've fought to keep it alive in our family ever since the first Graham baby graced the halls of our home.

But sometimes, that heavenly spirit of love and unity that you would hope would attend such an evening just doesn't make it. contention, ill will, even mean spirited pokes at family members can sometimes attend instead.

And that is when Family Home Evening becomes Insanity.

It doesn't happen very often, which doesn't mean that most Family nights are full of unity and perfect harmony-a lot of the time there is a fair amount of tolerance and some eye rolling going on, and then of course we have the occasional visit of heavenly feelings of eternal love for one another. but Insanity happened this Family night and I've got the scars to prove it.

Exhibit A; the war torn remains of our lesson zone. Toys thrown across the coffee table, children hiding under the coffee table, other children trying to begin their evening's rest under the shiny throw blanket, and still others bouncing with their feet on the exquisite couches recently purchased for me by my darling husband, who is currently away for most every family night (sigh...)


Exhibit B; littlest Graham is "excused" from family night for throwing a fit when her mother set her down from her lap in order to participate in the lesson. Littlest Graham was asleep within seconds of this photo - her crocodile tears drying fast on her perfect little cheeks.

Exhibit C; One of the many children who, after enduring the evening's lesson feels entitled to the evenings dessert. But this child has not eaten his dinner. And its bedtime now and I'm cranky 'cause no one would joyfully participate in our lesson or even be nice to each other during its delivery. And so said child is given 3 minutes to clear his plate or miss dessert. He cleared it (sigh again)

Exhibit D; Two oldest daughters revel in their just desserts. Ice cream and cookies never seem so justified as they do after enduring a lesson they don't feel like listening to or participating in, eh? This photo was taken about 10 seconds before Madi hit the roof, and I spent 30 minutes unwinding her (friend issues at school and the general feeling of being unheard by the one adult in her life who is supposed to listen-me-and also she's decided that she doesn't want to move after all and why did people have to come look at the house last Saturday anyway?). By the time I got to my family night treat it was a melted mess on the kitchen counter...

We missed exhibit E; teenage boy who decides that he needs to contribute to his portion of the lesson with his ELECTRIC Guitar, which he escaped to his room to gather while his sister was doing her portion of the lesson, so then sister decides not to participate for Brother because brother skipped out on sister...

can you feel the love people? Can you feel the lunacy?

Really, it isn't usually like this. Lots of times its better, and believe it or not sometimes its worse.

But its worth it, I hope. I have promises pinned up on the bulletin board in my head; quotes from prophets which lay out for me an eternity of my children around me if i gather them to me each week and try to teach them things of God.

So, I'll chalk this week up to bad weather, or bad Carma or poor preparation (Heaven does know I could prepare a bit better for these events!) and I'll try again next Family Home Evening...

wanna come?

7 comments:

John said...

Yes. I want to come. But won't. Again.

Liz said...

Oh sista'
I'll be there with ya next Monday...only right here in my own house. That was a righteous blog...

Rhonda Miller said...

Love it! I've been stalking your blog for months, and just have to leave a message this time. I too have six children (ages 19-4) and have spent lots of time as a "single" mom because my husband was gone (living in new city while I tried to sell the house, in Iraq for 18 months, traveling for work, etc.). It is hard - but will be worth the effort(right?). You give me a needed boost in regard to FHE. Thanks for your example.

Rhonda Miller said...

By the way, Highland is a wonderful place to settle in the Valley you've been exploring. You could be my new friend!

Kristen said...

I am so sorry you are enduring life without your husband's daily presence. He is a great man, FINALLY met him last night. My husband gave me no warning of his arrival and the house was a mess! I was so embarrassed. We chatted with him about the arrival of your last two children, and thus being a spiritual story, I want to know if I can count that as the FHE, I always fail to prepare?

Katie said...

You know, if it gives you any hope, I was a pill about FHE when I was a teenager (I remember watching the clock and INSISTING on summer nights that it must end by 9:00 because I was leaving with some friends to go play tennis . . . ) but when I went away to college, one of the first things I noticed about living away from home was the importance of FHE. I remember calling my mom that first semester from BYU to tell her that I had a new testimony of FHE and went cheerfully each week. Somehow, the lessons got through my thick skull and stuck with me, and I am so grateful for committed parents who were patient with a less-than-committed teenager.

Hang in there! This too shall pass, and as my mom always reminds me, these are the days you will miss the most when your children are grown.

amanda jane said...

I heard you have some sky miles - maybe Madi could come tous for a visit before the move? I know it would be terribly unfair to all the others, but maybe anyway? gosh, we miss you guys. we'll just keep the prayers coming! thanks for the example, Kate.