Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Finally...



Lucy takes the time to stop and smell the roses any chance she gets. Spending my days with her has helped me learn how to slow down and enjoy life more.

Soooo....things in our family life have been moving along quite quickly lately. I have found myself feeling very behind and not very prepared for much of what faces me each and every morning. Helping with school activities and taking the lead on some additional church assignments, as well as running to keep the kids happy and on time to practices and performances has been challenging.

Dinner nights with my kids, reading to them at night, sitting with them through homework had basically taken a back seat to being in meetings, putting in hours of manual labor in the name of the PTA and trying to serve in my church in a manner that pleases both myself and my Maker.

At the height of the mania, during an afternoon of multi-tasking my scripture study and my dish-washing duty I heard this:

'Let’s be honest; it’s rather easy to be busy. We all can think up a list of tasks that will overwhelm our schedules. Some might even think that their self-worth depends on the length of their to-do list. They flood the open spaces in their time with lists of meetings and minutia—even during times of stress and fatigue. Because they unnecessarily complicate their lives, they often feel increased frustration, diminished joy, and too little sense of meaning in their lives.'

funny enough, that very same day, a friend referenced this very talk, the one I had listened to and heard these words. Then, John mentioned the same sermon, in a post on his own blog. Another respected (an much more popular!) blogger also made reference, all in the very same week.

Could that message have been more clear?

I listened, and I realized that I could take heed to this valued advice. I couldn't just quit in the middle of some obligations, I had to see them through. But I did determine to stop saying 'yes' and instead pace myself and my family so we could think on and take joy in the things that matter more.

Like planting lettuce and spinach and peas in our garden.
Like having my sister over for a few hours yesterday so she could help us plan our garden (and, even more than that, so I could spend time with my awesome sis)
Like NOT staying home from Madi's awards banquet to do laundry or dishes or whatever. I was so GLAD I was there (more tomorrow)
Like having the chance to talk to Mason, even though we were up way too late, and really listening to what he had to say. That is one good boy I'm raising, if I do say so myself.

My school obligations are almost all done, and the extra church jobs too. Here is to the blooming of spring, and the chance to stop a little along the busy way to see the blossoming of the earth and witness its (and my) renewal.

No comments: