Friday, April 01, 2011

'Lucky Lucy'


an old shot of Lulabug. Happy Lucy, lucky Lucy...

Today I went and got a Pedicure instead of cleaning the kitchen. I had 45 minutes before it was time to pick up the carpool, and I used it to prep my toes for spring and summer footwear.

It seems all pedicurists are Vietnamese. Don't you agree? And when we were in Vietnam, many many women were offering 'pedicure madam?' to me as I went down the street. They walked along the road with all of their supplies; two foot stools, a tub for soaking feet, a little shoebox of polishes and some cotton and polish remover. In their pockets or in an apron, they had their snippers and files and other metal tools. The women in Vietnam are hard workers, and very persuasive, but I never indulged there fearful, very fearful, of contracting hepatitis from one of those metal tools!

As I sat and chatted with my 'technician' today, I told her I'd been to Vietnam. This happens every time I get a pedicure. I can't help myself. I want to ask the women who are lending me moments of beautification where they lived when they lived there. I want to know if they know the place where Lucy's birth mother came from. I want them to know that I love someone who looks remarkably like them.

They always drop their jaw when I tell them I have a daughter from an orphanage. They always tell me I am 'good' or 'kind' and they always always tell me that Lucy is very 'lucky'.

'such a lucky girl'.

It is a knee jerk reaction for me to respond 'no no! I am the lucky one'.

and that's how I truly feel.

Talking to Han as she painted my toes sparkling red made me remember so much about Lucy's coming home. Every day I tell myself that I need to write it all down. I realize I'm forgetting so much as the days and years go by. Her coming was such a miracle. Such an amazing gift from Heaven to me. I want to give other people the gift of knowing what I learned from years of adoption. To shout out loud that children who come into your home are no accident. that a loving God has meticulously planned every parent/child relationship, and given us power and provision to both weather the challenges and revel in the joys of the very specific souls we nurture as mothers and fathers.

I'm determined to spell it all out, novel though it may be. I know its important for me and for my posterity to have a record of how Heaven taught this mother so tenderly about motherhood.

Because whether Lucy really is as lucky as they say, I know I'm lucky for what I've learned in becoming Lucy's mother.

1 comment:

Tami said...

You are an amazing woman and mother. She is your daughter. I feel the spirit whenever you talked about it and now again as I read your post. I am sure you touch all those women who give you pedicures, too. Thank you for touching my heart again and again reminding me of what a privilege it is to be a mom!