Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Authentic Me: Active


my second ragnar relay: This one, with girlfriends, in Texas


since my marriage, I think I've run through literally dozens of pairs of running shoes. Used for more than just running, once these are on my feet I feel obligated to make my body sweat


Last summer's attempt at an Olympic length triathlon. I wonder if I'll ever be active enough to do one of these really well. I'd like this to be my hobby-but my authentic mothering just can't give in to the time commitment it requires for my naturally sedentary body to become fast enough to really race.

being active with other women has become a deeply satisfying past time. Erin and I have run two ragnars together. You don't see here Linda, Macy, Annette, Michele, Shelly and other amazing women who have given me miles of conversation and years and years of friendship!

AUTHENTIC: adjectiveAuthentic: 1. Not false or copied; genuine; real
2. Having the origin supported by unquestionable evidence:


I have sedentary genes. My parents do not exercise. Their parents did not exercise, nor their parents before them. It is not natural for me to want to climb mountains, run through valleys or sweat in any amount.

But I am most myself when I am active in my life. I usually have to be working toward goals in order to stay motivated, and someday I hope it is genuinely authentic for me to NEED to be active, not not want to go without exercise, though that day has not yet come.

I'd rather stay in bed, but I don't most of the time.

Some of the most important experiences I've had in becoming who I am involved being active (and even a little bit athletic).

In Jr. High I made the 8th grade basketball team. This involved early morning practices and after school work outs. We played the 7th graders. We won. I, for the first time in my life, was successful at being part of a team. That success led me to 9th grade volleyball. I stunk, really. I was short and slow, but I was cheerful and willing and was chosen to be team captain. It was the first time anyone selected me to be a leader. And it was the second time I contributed to a winning team.

As a senior I tried to become regularly active, I picked up running. I joined the spring track team, mostly to have someone to work out with. I was slow, I was weak. But they let me run with them, and I was a good cheerleader. I never ran in a meet-but I was given the 'spirit award' week after week because I had heart.

And now, years later, I have some what of a track record for being an active person. I wish I could say it was natural. I am still slow. I am still weak. I am somewhat of a whimp in total reality.

But, I am active. It is part of who I am. And I am my best self when it is a regular, daily part of the life that is mine.

1 comment:

Tami said...

You are awesome at getting so involved in such great activities. It inspires such a healthy lifestyle, and as my good friend here says, "It is easy to get addicted to endorphins." :-)