Friday, May 27, 2011

squeezing...


moms of girls brought delicious salads, and my partners in crime, Tiffany Richards and Jeanette Hamilton brought amazing home made breadsticks and rolls to add to our luncheon affair.


moms of boys brought tasty desserts, which went untouched until we moved them from the library, where no one would congregate, to the kitchen counter top.

have you ever heard of the "not so big house" philosophy? It basically sets out to prove that social psychology does not lend to people congregating in formal spaces. I believe this to the core, so was not surprised when only one soul even tried to venture into the music room for a place to sit and eat. They didn't last long-the room went empty the entire afternoon, despite having great seating and a pretty view out the window.


50 people or more made themselves at home in the kitchen and den area. I felt slightly embarrassed to see them sitting all over our oh so dirty/used up couch, but hopefully they were enjoying one another enough to pay little attention to the decor!


white flower bouquets were all over the house, trying to bring a bit of the garden into the Spruces on a very rainy day


Just thought I'd try and SQUEEZE one more thing into the month of May...a pot luck luncheon for mothers of 7th grade kids. We had planned for this to be a 'garden party' but with non stop rains through the week we had to move the festivities into the Spruces...we had to SQUEEZE into the house...get it?

I was determined to meet the women whose children influence my Brynley so much. I wanted them to know me, to know that I want to know who they are. Bryn spends time in their homes. She watches them. They are a pattern for her to follow, an example for an impressionable girl. I wanted to know what kinds of impressions she is getting when she crowds into her friends houses weekend after weekend.

And I wanted these great women to see that my door is open wide, they can send the girls (and the boys who follow...) into my home and I will feed them, and give them a safe place to be as they run into their teenage years.

I felt it was a great success! Over 50 mothers crammed into the kitchen, shaking hands, sharing food and stories about their kids. It was fun to hear from and meet again some High School friends whose girls are friends of Bryn.

Just like the girls who crowd around our kitchen island, their mothers didn't spend much time in the formal rooms of our home-they wanted to be in the close quarters of the kitchen, gabbing and nibbling, smiling and enjoying one another despite the lack of seating and the general 'tight squeeze'.

I remember clearly a friend sharing with me that on the night of her oldest son's high school graduation she met some his friends' parents for the very first time. I didn't want to have that experience, I want to know the parents who know my child. I hope this was a first step in that happy direction.

Trying to squeeze in a little more of "life" before the month of May has ended; we are packing for a trip to Boise, and delivering birthday invitations for Porter's birthday party. We are squeezing every last drop of energy out of my being but maybe as the end of May approaches I can start to view the hope of a calm JUNE and find the strength to see May to its finish...

No comments: