Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Authentic Me: Forty


Our next door neighbors surprised me with a birthday cake after the kids enjoyed 'night games' on our street. One of the sweetest moments of the day was having my children and all their neighborhood friends sing/yell 'happy birthday' to me and help me blow out candles.


Long time friend DeAnne took my girls and me to tea; it was So FUN to spend time with this dear friend eating shepherd's pie and drinking peppermint tea. I'd love to return again and again to the tea house to sit on the fluffy pillows and listen to D, she is an amazing person with great insight and inspiration!


a smattering of the flowers that were hand delivered by John's assistant, Malia, to the swimming pool where my children were having their swimming lessons. Her surprise visit was accompanied by this little book-which held an even bigger surprise from John to me on my birthday...

what you can't see:
A morning breakfast with my mom and sisters
My daddy running swim team and football carpool so I could be at breakfast
A lovely lunch date with my running partner Jeni
phone calls from friends in Sweden and Idaho
Sweet Text messages from my husband in far away Sweden
hugs from my kids
notes and gifts left on my front porch


It happened. I turned 40. The day I had dreaded came and went. And the day was a wonderful surprise for me in many ways. I felt so remembered. I felt loved. I felt calm. I felt I could face the realities of 'maturing' and the prospect of making life better through the decade that is in front of me. I shed tears of tender gratitude as I prayed at the end of the day. I'm thankful for the blessings that make up my life.

It is a very good life. Full of 40 blessed years...

John completely shocked and surprised me in every way this birthday. He had taken me to breakfast the morning of his departure and given me a little blue box. Tiny diamond studs have stayed in my ears and will remain until he gets home! Then, on birthday morning, his amazing and capable (and beautiful inside and out) assistant, Malia, found me and delivered beautiful flowers with a little book to go with them. The book read like a story, with a very happy ending. John has booked an exciting adventure for the two of us to share later in October. Babysitters are even arranged! A vacation. An experience. A getaway with my beloved. There is no better birthday gift than time spent alone with John.

So, my authentic self is no longer in her 30's. She is learning to look forward and see the prospect of things to come. Thanks to all who remembered me on this very special day-my friends and family are the reason I have to rejoice and be grateful this birthday!

1 comment:

John said...

I am so pleased your birthday was pleasant.