Thursday, March 01, 2012

Why we play the Piano in our Family

Dear Kids,
When we were a 'young family' a man in Daddy's Dallas office gifted us his old piano. The ivory keys (keys aren't made of ivory any more, did you know that?) were chipping a little and the black paint was scratched a little but it was still a wonderful musical instrument and he was so generous to share it with us. He knew I wanted you to be able to learn to play. He understood that developing a skill like the piano could not only bring you personal joy, but could enrich the lives of others.

As a 'young mother' I was touched beyond words to have the gift of our piano.

So you began taking lessons. I waited until you could read, and I tried hard to find teachers who would come to our house so I could hear what you were being taught and so I could still manage your brothers and sisters who were tiny and new. At first you were obedient students. You listened in your lessons and you practiced during the week. Then we moved. Then we tried again. Then we moved again. And tried again. And moved again and...you see the pattern here. Once established with a teacher and a practice routine we would uproot, and you'd start again. It has been our pattern. It has been inconsistent and difficult.

but we have always started again. Always found the new teacher, established the new routine. I have not yet given up on having you play piano.



As a girl my parents sacrificed for me to have piano lessons. And I complained. And because it was such a sacrifice and I was so ungrateful they let me quit. I had learned how to read music-at least some, but I was no musician.

It is a painful regret of my youth that I quit playing piano. And dad was never given the opportunity in the first place.

In all of those moves and with all of the change that we have had as our family's constant, so many people could have been blessed if I could have played for them.

People like you, and me.

So now, We make you play. We require it. And you complain and kick and scream over it.
And we will not give in.

We want you to have, when you are old enough to know you need it, a skill that can be a blessing to others.

Something you can do to serve. Some way you can help sooth troubled hearts, and calm busy minds, knowing that sometimes those minds and hearts will be your own.

No comments: