Friday, March 14, 2008

Patching things up for Porter


Our entry into school has gone relatively smoothly so far, at least on most days. It has been fun to see our kids tromp home after a long day, actually glad that they can walk home from school (instead of school being held IN their home...) It has also been fun to see the welcome they've received by the school and its staff. All of the kids were greeted by their first names, the teachers and students having been prepared in advance for their arrival.
Porter's kindergarten teacher sent home a weekend project which included Finny the Fish. Finny was to partner with Porter for the weekend, joining us in all our activities. At the end of the weekend Porter (with mom's help) added a scrapbook page to Finny's travel book, and then Porter presented his scrapbook page to all his classmates and told them about his adventures with fish in tow. Fun idea. Kinda hard to come up with activities and adventures that did NOT include unpacking boxes or stacking packing paper in the garage. We managed to bring Finny along to a church activity, and he did get to sleep over with Porter and all of Porter's newly recovered stuffed animals.
But Finny's best and most important adventure with Porter was learning how to empathize with a kid who has to wear an eye patch. Saturday morning, like most every other morning of Porter's life, began with tears as I approached him with his eye patch. This eye patch, while completely necessary to help Porter's weak eye become strong, is a difficult challenge for Porter in his daily life. I think one of the most difficult things I've heard from my sweet little Porter is "I have to go blind now". These are the words he whispers as I apply the daily dose of patch to Porter's strong eye, forcing the weak muscles of his lazy eye to work for themselves.
On this day, with Finny as witness, Porter began his rant and lament concerning optical patch therapy. In my motherly frustration-which surfaces easily when I have to apply something, like a patch, in my children's life which is in the short term very painful but in the long term very beneficial-I wanted to holler out at Porter, "you know we have to do this every day kid, so buck up!" Somehow instead of doing that, I instead said to Porter...
"It must be hard that no one knows what its like for you to have to wear this patch."
"yeah mom, you don't know what its like to go blind" said my pathetic little man.
"but, maybe Finny would understand you if you let him wear a patch today too."
"but, could he know what it feels like?"
"I'm sure he could. He is a fish, and fish are very empathetic. Let's try"
"o.k. mom"

on went Finny's patch. On went Porter's patch. On went a smile (on my face and Porter's) and on went the camera.

I was relieved that for one day Porter felt understood and that we had avoided fits and fighting over something that hurts now but matters a lot later. Porter was just glad that someone could know how it feels to "go blind" for a while every day, and that knowledge helped him smile instead of cry.

7 comments:

John said...

In nearly 13 years of watching your parenting brilliance, this may have been your wisest, most thoughtful idea yet. Finny's patch is one of my favorite things so far in 2008.

Jessica said...

What inspiration KT! I hope and pray that I can be the calm thoughtful mother you are when it is my turn!

Love you!

amanda jane said...

it is easy to pat you on the back, Katie, you do this mother thing very well. and I think Finny's long lost twin lives at our house. if he hasn't moved on to wetter pastures I will tuck him in a suitcase come April. Love you guys!

Mindy said...

Super cute idea. What a great mom you are. I'll have to figure out a way to apply this idea when I am putting eye drops in Kay's eyes for conjunctivitis.

Bonnie said...

That is a great idea! I'm glad Porter feels better now.

The Gale Family said...

Katie-
I always knew you were the best mother ever. I probably would've pinned the guy down and told him to deal with it!! You always remind me the value of patience and creative thinking!! Wish you were here to inspire me in person!!

love you! - Brooke

Gayle said...

KT..just getting to read all the blog entries since you left Salt Lake. Takes a long time but is always enjoyable. So glad to have my computer back! Anyway...this is brilliant! I so agree with all the comments that your mothering ability is super plus! I am so proud of you in so many ways. You can do it...you are doing it! And very very well.