Sunday, March 30, 2008

Thoughts of Evie


The week we left Africa our friend and "housemate/housemaid" Evie scuried and worked to create-as a gift to our family-an array of Xhosa traditional dress. She toiled and sewed, sometimes late into the night, so that as we left Africa we would have something to remember her by. This photo was taken just minutes before we hugged and thanked her and left her forever.

Now, mind you, Evie doesn't sew off a pattern. Each piece was made "from scratch". Sometimes she would need to "fit us" for the clothes, and finding something too long or too big would make my heart ache for her-because the seems are hand sewn and the detail work hand done. Its no wonder Evie's eyes are going, and her fingers are sore. She gives all of herself to this work of creating a bit of her culture, and it shows in the finished product.

I'm thinking of Evie so much these days. It isn't just that I am unable to "keep house" the way she could keep house for me. It is that I know I will probably never see her again. And she is a dear soul. A good soul. A kind soul. I always feel sad to leave "behind" a friendship or a connection to a person who has left be better off for knowing them.

As we unpacked our final suitcase from South Africa I found folded with the Xhosa clothes a striped piece of material. When unfolded it became an apron,made after the pattern of the japanese apron I wore nearly every day we lived in Johannesburg. This apron, for all that it means, is a treasure to me. Evie's handmade marks are all over it, and it is her that I have with me when I wear it. How kind and thoughtful she was to recognize this signature of mine; apron wearing; and to make a part of her go with me into life "this side" as she created for me a gift from her heart.

I've not forgotten you Evie, and I know I never will. You are part of the better side of me, and your handmade marks have left me with more than just lovely aprons and beautiful Xhosa clothes....

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

Wow...that's so sweet and kind of her! I hope you can see each other again someday. (Even though chances are you won't)

Blue said...

what a touching tribute katie! i'm not sure if elvie reads blogs (i'm guessing not), but i'm sure she knows how you feel about her. it's one of your gifts. she was undoubtedly blessed by her association with you, too. everyone is!

Jessica said...

What a sweetheart! I can just imagine her sayig "shame" while measuring the kids and finding that she had more work to do. Such a great lady.

Jenny and Josh said...

Katie- You have all of us as your blog buddies. I hope you and evie can be at least pen pals. When you contact her next be sure to tell her how absolutly amazing all of us think she is, and that we hope and pray for her to have all the happiness in the world!!