Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Service to others can Help Our Happy




I came across this article in Time magazine last month. Way to Go Utah! You, collectively, have a better understanding that helping other people can help your happy!

One of my favorite church leaders has shared some powerful insight in the last few weeks during our general conference meetings. You've been reading about a Heritage of Happiness here on my blog. I'm determined to claim that heritage, and I'm learning here of the things I can do for it to be mine (and yours!). One way to become a happier person is to learn to look outward and serve those who need. This isn't necessarily a grand production, often those who've rendered the most tender service in my life have done it through a phone call, a note in the mail, or a kind word on this blog. Did you know you were answering prayers when you spoke those kind words to me? Probably not. But I did, and that is what counts. This is one of my favorite quotes from the recent conference addresses:

"In the end, the number of prayers we say may contribute to our happiness, but the number of prayers we answer may be of even greater importance. Let us open our eyes and see the heavy hearts, notice the loneliness and despair; let us feel the silent prayers of others around us, and let us be an instrument in the hands of the Lord to answer those prayers." -Deiter F. Uchtdorf

I hope at some time I've been an answer for someone. I know others have been the sweet relief or tender mercy I've longed for when I've prayed. I intend to help my happy by being the answer to someone's prayers; someone like, maybe, my children's, or my spouse's for starters. Perhaps a neighbor, a friend, or the woman who scans through my groceries.

Try it; say your prayers and then go out and be an answer. See if it doesn't help your happy too.

1 comment:

Mel said...

Dear Katie
Our service to others is so important. We are Lords angels when we are on His erand. Small things can lead to big things.
Love Melissa