Monday, December 15, 2008

Prom Night



In light of recent posts in which I comically editorialized on my high school prom night dress standards, I thought I'd post here my most recent "prom dress". My steady date for the last 15 years asked me to accompany him to the, eh hem, company party. I said yes (He did not ask me by writing "will you go with me to the company party?" in shaving cream on the front lawn. Boring guy just emailed me and told me to put it on the calendar. I"m such a pushover, I said yes anyway...)

We had to dress up. Black tie optional. John of course chose the "not black tie" option.

I chose to go shopping. First I shopped my closet. Then I shopped a few sales racks. Last I shopped my friend's extensive personal jewelry collection.

This is what I came up with.

John picked me up around 5 (this means he literally picked me up off the ground and carried me out of the house that we live in because I was still talking to the babysitter and it was time to go). We dropped our teenager at his friends' house for the evening (Thanks Asay's, Mason had so much more fun than he would have if the babysitter were actually babysitting him!). We had some time to kill because I had taken such a long time to look like a knock out that we missed the "pre party cocktail party" at his co-worker's home in town.

So we went to Central Market and walked the aisles. We bought some Meyer lemons and a bottled water (so romantic).

Then we walked next door and got a piping hot donut from Krispy kreme. Yum and Yum.

Then off to the party. We couldn't hear anyone speak to us for the crowded and echoed room. The dinner entree was served on little dessert plates (we had to go through the line 3 or 4 times after figuring out that the first course was actually the main course. Trey Chic) John was given a standing ovation, a non-alcoholic bottle of champagne and a pat on the back for being an awesome manager. I clapped the loudest for him cause I'm his biggest fan. He held my hand. I felt like I was the ugly duckling shy girl on the arm of the BMOC. Accept that I looked like Audrey Hepburn. The only downer of the evening was when I was mistaken not for the beautiful and timeless Ms. Hepburn but for Maria from The Sound of Music. I'm sure with enough liquor anyone could have made the same mistake, right? Hepburn was the look I was going for, so I'm sticken' to it...

We walked around the party while others gambled with fake chips. My favorite part was sitting by a fire in a comfy chair sipping the best hot chocolate I have ever sipped in my life. John sat across from me. People came to speak to him as if he were receiving them at court. I watched him enjoy people whom I hardly know, and I could see in their expressions that they genuinely enjoy him too. I felt so lucky to be his date it made me giddy.

Then it was time to go. We picked up the teenager. We drove out of town and back home again. I hoped my date would make a move on me, but sleep overcame him-

so he dreamed of me instead.
My best prom ever.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

You look so pretty KT! Wish I could see how you had your hair done up. Surely you were the "bell of the ball".

Blue said...

hey, my hot date asked me to my first formal ever with shaving cream on the lawn 7 stories below my Deseret Towers window! Yeah, it was the first time anyone ever asked me to a dance...cool, huh. but getting married somehow changed the date-asking-protocol for us too.

you do look stunning and J-man looks dashing. Maybe someday we'll have dress-up parties to attend. I've still never been in a position where that was part of our lives. ♥