Thursday, February 19, 2009

Another "next house" musing



So my plan was for our children to receive little baby chicks for Easter this year. These little chicks would be raised inside a little darling chicken coop, fed free range and loved for the little egg layers that they are. Then, as their little fuzzy bodies became fertile havens of protein, we would reap the harvest of free range, fresh, nearly free eggs.

It was a great plan.

But with change comes the need for new plans. Only I'm having a hard time letting go of this great idea. I mean, we eat like 18 eggs a week, and have you noticed that eggs don't cost a nikel a piece any more?

Some parts of our old Utah neighborhood will let you grow chickens. Those are the parts of Utah I muse about living in. Or out in the middle of nowhere, whichever. I lean less toward those suburbs with anti-grow-your-own-chicken ordinances and more towards those that will let me try my hand at free range eggs.

Just a new house wish, just a great idea.

3 comments:

Jody said...

We have a neighbor who has chickens. No roosters aloud but chickens are ok. I think they have 3, and have more eggs than they know what to do with. (just a plug for the south end)
Love you guys.

Mindy said...

I'm so glad that I am not the only one who wants chickens. I've thought several times about trying to sneak them into our backyard. It doesn't say anything about poultry in our hoa guide--I'm not sure anyone has ever asked! I hope the Easter Bunny can deliver a basket full of chicks for you next year.

John said...

I'd be content with Easter Bunny simply finding us in SLC...