Thursday, April 30, 2009

biting my tongue...


because today I've had it about up to my eyeballs in community angst.

over swine flu.

Now, lots of you who read this blog do not live in the great state of TEXAS. Perhaps you've heard the joke that Texas is so big, and so "different", that it could and should be considered its own country. And actually I'd agree with you. We have special and different educational tests for our children. We tie the value of our homes to the quality of our schools. We don't pay state income tax but instead pay ginormous property tax. We are different here.

And we border with the country which has had death due to flu. And many of our citizens have contracted this flu. And so there is angst.

And I live with a lot of angst on a lot of other levels in my life (like; how are we ever going to unload our house? and Where are we going to stinking LIVE when we leave said house? and How am I going to finish bed time tonight without losing my smaller than average mind?) so I am familiar with the sensation.

Lucy was sent home today because "she had a fever". Now, please make no mistake. I would much prefer SAFE over SORRY. Last February, when our kids were exposed to Whooping cough, I kept them home from school even though the test was negative, they put them on antibiotics "just in case" and there were no symptoms. I don't want my child to suffer, and I don't want another child to suffer because my child was ill and in their presence.

But Lucy didn't have a fever. I took her temperature with a brand new thermometer. I took the temperature repeatedly over a sustained length of time. No fever. No runny nose. No dirt under her fingernails and no recent trips to Mexico.

just angst.

And it must have rubbed off. Because upon gathering the girls early from preschool, Lucy and Molly both by my side ("better keep Molly, just in case...") we went to Target to buy the new thermometer. And we bought them out of ibuprofen and Tylenol. And we bought Gatorade and clear liquids. And then i went and fueled my car. And while at the gas station I purchased a box of gallon containers of water. And I'm ordering a generator today after I gather my kids from school. And somehow picking up firewood for our outdoor cooking pit "just in case we want to make s'mores" (or if the gas company has so many freaked out or ill employees that they decide not to provide service before this scare subsides)

So I must have angst too.

How are you fairing the unknown ill of the swine flu? Have you stepped up your hand washing, your pork inspecting? Have you opted out of public gatherings? Is your school still open?

perhaps you, after reading of my over reaction to non-fevered preschool expulsion, are biting your tongue now too.

or maybe, instead, I've caused you angst.

6 comments:

girlsmama said...

I can't say I have angst over the flu. But I'm not leaving close to the border either. But I have made sure that we are stocked on all the essentials. Just in case.

John said...

I'm staying away from Texas. OK, that isn't funny.

Jessica said...

Um, I think you may have caused some "angst" in Mom. Is that maybe where you got it? Does that mean I will be like that too?!

JK! You know I love you, stay healthy!

Sinclair said...

Well, I am over here in Oregon, and we have our first "suspected" case in the state today. I actually have a little angst over it, simply because of the unknown. But, right now, none of us have to leave the house daily, and we have purchased extra supplies and water. I am avoiding unnecessary trips to town for now. We don't eat meat, so don't have to worry about that end of things anyway. Saying our prayers and living our lives. Praying for your health and safety as well.

Tami said...

I love your post. I would laugh and take my kids out to ice cream if my kids got sent home for a fever without a fever. This is from a mom who loves to have her kids home, and looks forward to summer every year. The lds website does talk about the pandemic flu tat will happen eventually and that we need to prepare for it. So, I think it is wise to be a little cautious and prepared.

Jenny and Josh said...

I have lots of gallons of water. And LOTS of Tuna Fish. Not much and no money to buy much else with. So we are washing our hands religiously and doing a lot of praying. But I have decided not to live in fear! We have suspected cases in Park City, and Salt Lake County. If it's here, it's here and we will take one day at a time.