Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Reason for being away

We celebrated the life of our friend's brother this weekend by running in a race. We ran because he liked to run, and though we had not met him, we love his sister (and brother in law and niece and nephew). They lost him to an ATV accident just before Thanksgiving. And, wisely, they prepared themselves physically, emotionally and spiritually to celebrate his life and grieve his loss through the training of a marathon. Though it was fun and satisfying, to have been a little tiny part of this experience was, well, reverent for me. Oh that others might celebrate me in such an active and spirited way whenever my time here is through!

Ironically, as the family celebrated the day's accomplishments, they received a phone call tragically announcing the loss of a family friend to the same recreational pursuit that took Micheal's celebrated life. Bill Orton, a Utah politician and family friend, had taken his boys out on ATV's for the day and sadly lost his life on the trip. Rest assured my children will NOT ride one of those machines-EVER if I can help it.

And here is my favorite running partner. Though Mason is prepared to run this mileage, John and I left him home so we could have a weekend long date. It was the best weekend I've had in a very long time.

We didn't visit with our family.
We didn't go looking at houses.
We didn't interview principals or "ward hop" to see if kids our kids' ages lived in any certain neighborhood.

We ate out
We slept in
We stayed in a hotel (hubba hubba)
We went to a movie that was PG13
We shopped and drove and talked

and we kissed and held hands every chance we could get. It was bliss. And its taken me days and days to ponder and savor the experience.

3 comments:

John said...

Holy awful picture, batman.

Tami said...

What a great weekend! What a neat race! What an awesome opportunity to just enjoy being with your hubby.

Jenny and Josh said...

Sounds like a great weekend! I will everything within my power to keep my children off of ATVS!!