Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A little personal essay

We celebrated an absolute banner day last weekend when brother-in-law Dean was married forever to now sister- in- law Brynley. I'm not sure, save my John and I, that two people were ever better matched for each other. Dean is adoring, corageously willing to cherish an absolutley amazing, strong and beautiful bride. Determined to make her life bliss, Dean will honor Brynley and support her in every role she faces; be it wife, mother, professional, runner, relief society goddess or fairy god mother. Brynley, fiercely loyal and full of more love and faith than you can imagine in one being, will support and smile Dean to greater heights than he has thus far known spiritually, physically, intelectually, personally, and professionally. It was a priviledge to witness the union of such fine people.

Brynley's dad made a comment at the wedding lunch that lingers in my mind. He mentioned a moment in the last minute frenzy of the wedding reception's beginning when the planned refreshments were in jeoprody. Brynley and Dean handled the probable disaster with maturity and wisdom. It was said this way:

"They knew that it really mattered. But they also knew that it wouldn't matter for a very long time."

I reflected on my own wedding reception of many years ago. So many things (as I'm sure happened at YOUR wedding reception too) didn't go as I had dreamed. But so many years later, it doesn't really matter. The thing that mattered more, and that ultimately matters most, is that John and I were married-to each other-in the way that was right for us, in the place where we wanted to be, withcovenants that last forever. And because THAT matters for a long long time, those other little dreams can fade away and be lost in the bygone memory of this aging bride.

And as my brain speeds forward those many years from then to now, I see this is not just wisdom for weddings and receptions. It's so valueable in the day to day of my life. How often do I break down, or over emphasize, or over worry myself over things that matter, but that won't matter for a very long time? And, sadly, how often do I lightly consider those things-be they relationships or decisions or personal practices in the daily grind-that matter much and that will matter forever?

The scriptures put it this way:

"Wherefore, do not spend money for that which is of no worth, nor your labor for that which cannot satisfy. Hearken diligently unto me, and remember the words which I have spoken; and come unto the Holy One of Israel, and feast upon that which perisheth not, neither can be corrupted, and let your soul delight in fatness."

2Nephi 9:51

Caught in a recent current of concern over homes sold and bought and decisions that matter for now, I wonder if I am missing the opportunity to think and concentrate on those things that ultimately matter most. Perhaps it is high time that I check the emphasis of my emotions and be sure they are placed-with my heart, mind, might, and strength, on those things that eternally matter. And in so doing dismiss the anxiety so characteristically stirred up by me on things that might matter a lot, but that won't matter at all in not so very long a time. And as this process, well, proceeds, I can enjoy the "fatness of my soul" as my heart "comes to the Holy One of Israel" and dwells on those things; HIS things; which matter most of all.

And which will matter , most definately, forever.

2 comments:

Tami said...

Thank you for sharing that. I really needed to read that today. I have been to cumbered about by something that doesn't really matter. A simple thing, I bought something that was shipped to Texas on accident. I was beginning to let it go, and now I really can let it go and move forward. Thank you!

Cheryl G. said...

Well said! I have a daughter that got married on Friday. I can relate. But you said it best!