Thursday, July 16, 2009

Revisiting Cecret Lake...



Summer of 2006 found us waiting for a call that would send us across the ocean to bring our Lucy home. Finding activities and interests to occupy us that summer was so incredibley vital in the keeping of my sanity. It was all I could do each morning to pray for strength to be happy when I knew my little one was waiting for me, and I had no control over the circumstances that would bring her to us forever.

One day I loaded the kids into the car and we headed up Little cottonwood Canyon for a hike. With Molly (then 18months old or so) strapped to my back we walked the mile long trail to Cecret lake, enjoying the wildflowers, the crisp fresh air and the wonderful company as we went. For our little crew this was quite an accomplishment, I remember in particular being so proud of Porter-who had just turned 4, that he'd completed the trek without needing me to carry him.

It was the highlight of my summer, aside of course from the moment, 5 weeks later, when I held Lucy in my arms for the very first time.

3 summers later, we revisited the trail. This time with John and Lucy along, our entire family journeyed to the lake. The evening weather was beautiful. The green of the mountains uniquely vivid due to June's incesant rains. The company; unbeatable. And again I found myself feeling so pleased as our small little Lucy-now 3, nearly completed the hike without a tow (her tiny legs were done by the last hundred yards or so, and her daddy quite happily swept her up onto his shoulders for the ride back to the car)

Time goes by so fast. This memory held so dear to me is 3 full years gone by. And yet, the enjoyment of the weekend's adventure to the lake has freshened the former memory and added to my store of "most enjoyable" things we have done as a family.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Cecret Lake holds a special place in my heart as well - Matt & I took a Sunday walk there for one of our first dates, and it has become nearly a yearly tradition for us. Glad it holds good memories for the Grahams as well!

Tami said...

What a beautiful memory!