Thursday, December 17, 2009

Favorite Christmas Memories installment 2


this yearly photo taken with Santa shows smiling me on the right, probably a freshman in Highschool.

My Senior year of High School was a busy one. I carried a part time job, helped on our school's seminary council, sang in our Madrigal choir and took a full load of senior classes too. I was the oldest daughter in a family of 6 children, with parents who worked hard keeping our family business afloat. I kept busy on my own, but had responsibilities at home as well.

At the end of the previous school year two girls from the class ahead of me came to my door. I had been selected, along with my friend Heidi, to be secret ambassadors of compassion and good will for a teacher we all loved and respected. Mrs. Hewlett taught choir and Humanities. She instilled in us (with passion, pure knowledge and a little intimidation) a love for the arts through the ages. From Gregorian chant to post modern music, early sculpture through the Renaissance and far beyond. Her college level course was coveted among seniors. And she was our choral instructor as well. Always expecting the best from us, I had been invited to give my best to her.

Mrs. Hewlett was a widow, who had married late in life and who enjoyed the love of a step family but who never enjoyed children of her very own making. She, being the passionate woman we all loved, wore her loneliness on her sleeve at times (and very especially at Christmas time).

The tradition of being an anonymous emissary of kindness and cheer had gone on for many years. From the time I was a freshman I had seen little notes from Mrs. Hewlett to her secret angels on mornings after they'd visited her doorstep, thanking them for their kindness. Now i was to be one of those angels-it was an honor I did not take lightly.

Heidi and I planned carefully for the 12 days of Christmas to be presented on Mrs. Hewlett's doorstep during our busy Christmas season. Sometimes our visits took place late into the night as we had homework and jobs and concerts (directed at Mrs. Hewlett's hand no less!). Some nights we went alone, some nights we went together. The thrill of ringing the doorbell and taking off as fast as we could is one I looked forward to night after night.

And the notes on the board, all during the season, they were like a stamp of approval from Heaven itself. Showing Heidi and me that we were making a difference.

Heidi, being angel like in her very nature anyways, took it all in stride-it was some of her usual business I daresay. I know it was not the first time she had anonymously made life better for another. But for selfish self centered me, it was new and awakening and wonderful.

I do not remember the gifts we left nor the words in those notes on the board. But I will always remember the thrill and fulfillment as we rang the doorbell and ran.

3 comments:

Jenny and Josh said...

So sweet! What a great memory. But when did you become the oldest child in the family? What happened to Aaron? ;)

Kristen said...

you are just so kind, I am always so impressed. I also think your younger sister on the lower left shares a strong resemblance to your daughter! I find it funny how the gene pool works.

Tami said...

You have been amazing forever! What a great opportunity!