Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Dear John for Valentines,


Tonight you will come home after I am sleeping. Your cold cheeks and lips will wake me with a start, and I will be glad you are home.

I am listening to the "hot pocket" bit from that one comedian. I giggle when he sings "Hot Pocket" or "Flush pocket"...thank you for introducing me to things that make me laugh. I've never been that good at finding laughter on my own-your ability to help me "turn frowns upside down" is one of the reasons I love you.

I went walking while you were gone. It isn't as nice as the walks we take together. I know you are proud of your podometer readings when we pedal around the 'hood. But I like to think you invite me to walk so we can hold hands and talk alone in the quiet evening.

I want to say "thank you" for being a great example to me and to our kids. Mason has noticed that most mornings when he wakes you are in your office studying scriptures or reading the words of prophets and apostles. I'm glad that he sees you humbly seek to become a disciple of Christ. As our kids become bigger I can see that my natural parenting style (tell them what to do) is less effective and your natural parenting style (show them what to do) is more. I feel deeply grateful for the inspiration and insight you felt and acted on when this new job fell into your lap. Who would have known that one year after you began this part of your career the greatest benefit of it is that our kids see what you do, and that your actions are consistent with your teachings. Brynley melts for you when she bristles to me. Mason wants you to be proud of him much more than he wants me to stop nagging. Madi-well she's Madi- and she wants both of us to notice and love her. Seeing you throw the football with Porter the other morning was one of the most heartwarming sights since we moved to the Spruces. With the home improvements (thank you so much) and the plans to paint and "katie-fy" the house the most "this is home" feeling I've had so far was the sight of all the kids running around the street with you right there in the middle, playing with them.

I'm so glad you are coming home again. I don't mind your travel-but truly I do miss you. I'm so glad we are in this together.

All my love,
Katie

2 comments:

Carin Davis said...

what a nice letter...
letters mean so much!
i need to write one to Danny...
:)

John said...

I'm glad I'm home.