Thursday, August 26, 2010

Feeling Like a Freshman


This is me, pinned, with buses on both sides and other cars already parked in the spot I just vacated, what a Freshman move...


Mason is the kid who has gone off to High School. But in the first week of his experience as an underclassmen, I'm the one who feels like a Freshman.

At orientation, he clapped and laughed appropriately and looked around for kids he knew. I sat in my seat in a cold sweat, hoping one of the mothers I knew would be kind to me and say hello.

I was deeply concerned that he have a ride to and from the opening home football game, so he could properly feel the energy of being part of a high school (Go Oly!). He wasn't even sure he wanted to go to the game. RED FLAG! All new students should go to the games, and cheer for their school! How else to instill school spirit and alliegence and proper main stream societal thinking?

And on the first day of class, I had the ultimate "put you in your place and never forget you know nothing about how to be cool here" experience when I pulled out of the high school parking spot just in time to get pinned between the school buses. With no way to get out, other cars could also not get around. I sought out the bus driver to see if she'd pull forward, just to create a gap large enough to let my big rig pass. NO WAY, this is the BUS LANE lady! Go ask the policeman to move his car, don't ask the bus driver. Then I ran in to the office, to ask the police officer to move his car just for a minute from its coveted parking spot, so I could squeeze past the bus. NO WAY NEWBIE! The police don't move their cars for NOBODY, even if by keeping their cars there they are making you break the law. As kids flooded out of the school on the first day, I wanted to DISAPPEAR, just like a freshman who gets caught walking into the wrong bathroom by the Senior kid in school. Then the policeman came out to yell at the bus driver. Bus driver moved, I moved, never to return to the parking lot during the last half hour of classes again...

I am such a freshman.

4 comments:

Tyler said...

I guess if he can't be a RAM, a titan is the next best thing.

Gayle said...

OH MY GOODNESS! CAN I RELATE! AND I STILL GOT THOSE FEELINGS AFTER ALL THE TIME I SPENT AT HIGHLAND FROM 1985 TO 2002. THERE WAS NEVER A TIME I DID NOT FEEL LIKE A FRESHMAN...CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW I AM GOING TO FEEL IN 2019 WHEN I HAVE TO WALK THOSE HALLS AGAIN....EEEK!

Gayle said...

Oh my goodness! I can relate! I felt like a freshman every time I walked into Highland. I felt like a freshman even after all the time I spent there from 1984 to 2002. How will I feel when I have to go back there in 2019....Oh, my goodness!
Gayle

John said...

Maybe no one noticed since your car's about the same size as the school bus? I feel for you. If it makes you feel better (or worse) I think I might have gone to one football game while in high school.