Wednesday, October 20, 2010

You've Heard All This Before...


I finished this run like 9 minutes ahead of my personal prediction. I was so proud of myself I yelled "I win!" as I handed off to my teammate. My fellow runners were pretty stunned. My time was not amazing, yet I was so thrilled! Its all in the setting of realistic goals :)


That is a photo of me running the Wasatch Back last June. I am a bit embarrassed to show you my man sized thighs-I've always had football player's legs...but I am posting this picture for a reason:

I am heavier now than I was when I ran this race last June.

And that is a slippery slope my friends.

I will turn 40 in less than a year. I've heard the statistics, I know this drill. If I do not work hard to avoid it, my body will turn into mashed potatoes and gravy before I can say 45.

The 30 or so m&m's I ate tonight (one at a time) are evidence of my greatest challenge...

I have no will power right now.

I have had, in my past. But since school started? It's been a steady chorus of "eat whatever you feel like" playing in the back of my head.

I'm working out. I know how to eat right, I even know how to "diet". But the problem is, I don't want to.

I'm a very reward driven personality. I want something waiting for me at the end of my accomplishments that constitute more than a pat on the back. Show me the money would be more like it, thank you very much.

I've set some recent goals, and I'm trying to devise adequate reward for the accomplishment of these goals. Any of you who know me, write some suggestions as to what kind of reward the completion of these goals deserves...I'm curious what YOU think my accomplishment is worth!

From Now until Thanksgiving:

Goal 1; exercise 5-6 times a week (1 Yoga session counts, but otherwise sweat and heavy breathing must be involved, and the duration must be more than 30 minutes).

Goal 2: "eat right". This one is a tricky one for me. I've tried "the Zone" and I lost some weight, but it was a pretty miserable experience and not a food lifestyle I think can be sustained. So this is a bit of a work in progress, but at least it includes the following:
a. Week 1; no more than 1 dessert on Sunday, no more than one dessert on another day of the week (I've gone without completely before, only to binge instead. So I'm trying moderation and reality this time.)
b. Week 2: only 1 dessert per week. Not a "free day", that doesn't work for me, but one dessert a week is manageable til thanksgiving at least. With one exception; when John and I are in Napa. Then, any time John has dessert, I can share with him...
c. By week 3 (or before) a "diet" will be decided upon; this isn't so much a diet as it is an eating plan. It will likely be "the zone" because I know how it works. But I'd rather find some guidelines that are more specific to this ideal.
d. 100 oz. of water a day.
e. No more soda. period. This has very subtly crept into my life a bit as I've eaten out with John or the family, or as I've gotten up before the sun to run with my neighbor and friend. When one is dragging through the day it seems justifiable to have a diet coke....but this is a luxury that cannot become habit, so NO MORE starting right now.

Goal 3: overall well being
a. Lights out before 10.30 4 of 7 nights each week. It isn't realistic to do this every night, especially if John is traveling. But when he is home I know I can get my fanny under the covers by 10.30. Plus, I know he will be a willing partner to help ;).
b. 1 day a week designated for being "home". This will be Thursdays this year. No preschool pick ups on Thursdays, no volunteering in the school, no early afternoon carpool. The only exception will be if I have the chance to enjoy a friend or neighbor, or to do something kind for myself (like a haircut, or an extra yoga class, or a chance to take a walk or go hiking with Lucy). Lucy will be by my side all day, but the idea is to spend the day at home. Finishing projects, baking bread or trying a new recipe or just organizing the cupboard. A day where homemaking is the flow of the day from 9 am until 3.
c. Read my scriptures 10 minutes or more, 5 days per week; This has been a difficult habit for me to form in recent years (it used to be so natural for me...). So I am being realistic, but I'm also hopeful that I will read EVERY day, and that adding devotional messages and sermons from current church leaders will also be a part of my study.

Those goals are lofty, but also very achievable. Especially for a month of the year. And especially in a month where practices and weekend games are subsiding and there is "space" between the rush of autumn activities and the bigger rush of the holidays to come.

What goals are you currently working on? What are the "rewards" of your efforts? Are you like me, do you need something concrete to substantiate your success? Or is the achievement reward enough (if so, I'm truly jealous!) wish me good luck, I'll post my progress as I go.

5 comments:

Tami said...

Diabetes runs rampant in my family: my mom, my dad, my brother, Drew's mom, Drew's uncle, and that is just the 1st generation. That is my motivation. I saw a picture of me that looked a little like my mom right before she was diagnosed with diabetes. Sugar is my thing, so I have cut out sugar, reduced my caloric intake, resorted to walking, since I am starving when I run, though I love to run, and eliminated all bad carbs. I eat Ezekial bread and whole wheat pasta and pitas. I don't eat many things that are unnatural. If it doesn't grow or come from an animal, I stay away. The best thing I do is log it all at myfitnesspal.com. It is a free site. I do give myself a day off for date night and time with the family, but I don't go overboard. I have lost 10 pounds in a week and a half. I know it will taper to a few pounds a week, and I am very happy with that. I wish you all the luck. That was a post within a post. I look forward to hearing what works for you.
For my scripture study, I read before I walk with my friend so I have something uplifting to share. It is nice because I am alone at 5 am and we enjoy discussing what we read.

Mindy said...

Katie,
This post made me laugh...only because it sounds exactly like me! Every few months or so I'm drawing up "plans" of how to help me fit good food, exercise, and scriptures into my life a little better. I take my plan to Scott, tell him all about it (he loves it), then tell him what he gets to buy me when I've achieved my goal. Let's see...we've had new jeans, a coat from JCrew, new fall riding boots...the kinds of things that I can't quite justify purchasing on a whim. Somehow I feel better about it when I feel like Scott has agreed to it, even though the reality is that I've told him that he agrees to it. I guess I just do better when there is a carrot dangling in front of my nose. Good luck! Enjoy picking out your reward!

Melissa said...

Good luck!! There is a blog called trainermomma.blogspot and she regularly has "eat with me" days where she tells you exactly what she eats, how many calories, etc. It is 5-6 small meals a day that each fit specific nutrient guidelines. It is similar to the "Body for Life" approach which I feel is the best way to eat.

Sharon said...

Your OCD friend notices you are still learning to enjoy Texas again... help me!

Sharon said...

And I am trying to work out and eat more sensibly and am not doing the former and performing miserably at the latter. Not a fan of this life challenge.