Monday, August 27, 2007

Will work for food

I had no idea how much I would miss my favorite cook books here in JoBurg! Thinking of creative menu items seems far beyond my jetlagged mind. I’m shouting a call for recipes here, and I really do mean SHouTING! I’d love meal suggestions and recipes if you can spare the time to send them. There are a few guidelines to keep in mind, and there are a few requests also.
The guidelines:
1. There is no cream of mushroom soup in the country of South Africa. Nor have I found canned chicken broth (but plenty of cubed boullion). Bear this in mind as you chose which recipes to send…
2. Cooking here is a bit more of a task. Smaller stove, rented house (meaning fewer pots and pans and dollar store quality stuff. Simple but healthy meals would be great).
And now the Requests:
Dean/Mom Graham; I beg of you my favorite tomato soup recipe from the New Basics Cookbook. This is the same recipe I shared with you Dean, sometime last spring. Would you mind shouting it back to me?
I’d like a cookie recipe; thought snickerdoodles would be best as I have not seen chocolate chips. Though if you can spare a choc. Chip recipe that calls for butter and not Crisco I could probably break up a chocolate bar instead of using choc. Chips. Cookies are quite a novelty here, I’d like to use them to meet our neighbors J
MANDY; please may we have your taco soup recipe? We love it and I think we’d be able to make it here.
We need APPLESAUCE. Can’t buy it here and it is a staple for Ms. Lucy. I am trying my darndest to find other food fare for her enjoyment, but life just isn’t the same for her without the ol’ sauce.
I need Aunt Susan Read’s zuccini bread recipe. Think we can make it here as zuccini squash seems to be a universally abundant food source. Love to spring that one on the kids some Saturday morning.
So that is the call. I know so many of you are gourmet quality cooks so I’m sure I’ll see some amazing recipes come down the line. As they are put in my in box or in the comment lines I’ll be sure to share them back; I’ll post your recipes unless you request them to remain secret (I fully respect the whole secret recipe thing)

5 comments:

Blue said...

Hi Katie,
increasingly, when I need a recipe, I sit down at the computer, type "XXX recipe" in my google window, and voila! A whole slew of interesting recipes. I ran out of taco seasoning, so I googled for a recipe to make my own. It's amazing what you can find online. I just print it out and off I go.

Popular recipe site http://allrecipes.com lets you search their extensive recipe database based on ingredients you'd like to use. Not only that, but you can also specify ingredients you don't want, and you can limit your search to the type of food you're looking for.

The internet is amazing! Have fun cooking. ♥

amanda jane said...

I will email the soup recipe - it does call for broth but I'm sure you can make it with bullion, too. have you found Cumin there? I have a great and simple Choc. chip cookie recipe - from the kitchen aid cook book - calls for butter if you want to try. And I have a fabulous PButter cookie recipe - but can you get Peanut butter? look for the email. Love you.

Jessica said...

thanks so far for the comments. Unfortunately, I can't google anything just yet; not enough bandwidth in my internet situation, I get dropped off line every time I try. Yes mandy, I'd love all the recipes you mentioned; I can buy peanut butter no problem, and I'm sure I can get cumin. keep them coming!

Gayle said...

Susan's Zucchini Bread
MAKES 2 LARGE LOAFS OR 5 SMALL LOAFS
3 eggs
1 cup oil
1 cup Brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 cups grated zucchini
3T vanilla
3 cups flour
1/4 t baking POWDER
1 t salt
1 t soda
3 t comma,pm
1 t cloves
1 t nutmeg
1 cup nuts optional
MiX in order. Pour into greased and floured bread pans. Bake at 325 for one hour. While still hot pour glase over each loaf. Remove from pahs after about 20 minutes.
GLAZE
1 cup powdered sugar
4 t Hot Water. (You may add vanilla if you wish)

Zucchini Casserol Audrey Read
Med. white onion chopped
2 good sized zucchini (about 10 inches long on not too fat)
1/2 pacage frozen corn ( or equal off the cob)
1 large tomatoe
1/4 stick of butter
1/4 -1/2 lb grated cheese
Place zucchini and onion in 3 qt casserole and Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Add frozen corn and microwave for 2 minutes. Drain. Add tomatoe. Add Butter, salt and pepper and cheese and mix all together. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
ROSEMARY'S SUGAR COOKIES
1 LB BUTTER
2 CUPS POWDERED SUGAR
3/4 CUP gRANULATED SUGAR
1 T VANILLA
1 T ALMOND
2 EGGS
5 CUPS FLOUR
3/4 T SODA
3/4 T CREAM OF TARTAR
MIX BUTTER AND SUGARS WELL. ADD EGGS, VANILLA AND ALMOND. GRADUALLY ADD DRY INGREDIENTS. MIX WELL. REFRIGERATE 2 HOURS. ROLL OUT 1/4 INCH THICK. CUT WITH COOKIE CUTTERS ( TOP OF A GLASS OR TIN CAN OR CUT WILL A KNIFE IN SQUARES TRIANGLES ETC. OR ROLL THE DOUGH UP AND THEN SLICE THEM. BAKE AT 350 FOR 12 MINUTES.
YOU CAN ADD NUTS/ CHOCO CHIPS/ OR PIECES OR DIP THE COOKIE IN CHOCOLATE AFTER BAKING.

For Applesauce you can buy apples/ golden delicious are good for this/ peel them /quarter them and core them or core them and quarter them. Boil until very cooked and mash with a potatoe masher. Or put into a blender/or food processor if you have that. Add sugar to taste...or not. I never added sugar to the golden delicious applesauce I made. Good luck!

Dean said...

Mom emailed me today asking for the recipe. I sent it to her, so I'm sure she already forwarded it on. By the way, I'll be finishing up my last bowl of my latest batch of that sweet sweet necter in the next couple of days. Mmmm....