Thursday, April 03, 2008

Easter Traditions, a month late



So, a few of you asked about our family's Easter traditions. I know Easter is a year away, but I thought I better shout out my favorites before I forget. A year is a long time in my mothering life; although it will be here before I know it and I'll wonder where all the time went!

OK; One of our favorites involves the empty egg. If you are a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints you may have heard of the story of the little boy who brought the empty egg to school as part of his spring project. If you haven't, you should. It is sweet and teaches in a good way the resurrection of our Lord and its value to each of us. Email me if you need the story.

We have an empty egg, It is closed in a basket and tied with a bow during the weeks leading up to Easter. On Easter morning the egg is open, to reveal that is is empty "He is not here, for He is risen..."

Next: For a few years (like 9) we fiddled around with what to put in our kid's Easter Baskets. It is such a reverent holiday, and cheesy presents in the baskets seemed so totally opposite the nature of the sacred remembrence. Well, a few years ago we decided that instead of goofy prizes in their baskets the kids would each receive a perennial plant (these are the plants that come back year after year). I usually wrap each plant pot with a bow and set it nicely in the basket. Then on Easter morning we put our plants into the ground. They grow all spring and in the fall we prune them back. Next spring they come up bigger and more beautiful, reminding us of the renewal of life and the rebirth the world sees at this time of year when we celbrate our own second birth; the chance to be reborn and cleansed from sin because of Jesus Christ. It fits our family. And all the houses we've had have lovely Easter gardens to remind us year after year (I even got some plants into the ground here in big ol' Texas this year).

Last: I feel a little lost on this last one, because we've moved and I don't know if this tradition will hold. But for the last 5-6 years I've been the Easter Egg hunt queen of our neighborhood. We've lived in subdivisions or neighborhoods that beg for community interaction, so an Easter Egg hunt has been my personal contribution. For years one of the rooms in our house is transformed into easter egg central where neighbors bring their plastic filled eggs (wrapped candy only and taped shut please) to our home, lists of ages for the kids who will participate. For years I've been getting to know my neighbors as they drop by our home to deliver their eggs. It has been my blessing to interact with my neighbors this way year after year-and to enjoy the association of other moms as we plan these egg hunts together (hello Holly! Hello Sarah!). I felt so lost this year, showing up to an impromptu hunt organized by a church friend. As the kids wandered for their eggs I really felt a little sad. Who knows, maybe next year, or maybe this is one for the record books and there is another way to visit with neighbors at my front door and learn the names and ages of their children as we talk nicer weather and the upcoming spring break from school.

So there you have it. I didn't post a pic of our Easter buns; a swedish tradition that involves hollowed out bread rolls, almond paste, powdered sugar and whip cream. Those are so "Graham" because we brought them from our Swedish life of years ago. I also didn't share our Easter Tree, also a swedish tradition, as all its decorations stayed in the box this year (no time to sprout the twigs, no time to make a space in the boxes for the tree to be decorated; that will have to be for next year!)

Hope some of these are good ideas for your family. Let me know what your traditions are, and Happy Easter!

1 comment:

Gayle said...

Beautiful traditions and lots of love and fun. We will barrow from your ideas of positive teaching experiences. and the kids look wonderful! Love you all, Mom/grandma noodle