Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The pain of separation


This was the scene just minutes before my beautiful nieces and their mother, Amanda, left us and flew back home to their lovely life in utah. Separation is painful. It was bitter sweet to witness tears over flowing from my children in their beds that night

"why can't we live by our cousins....?"
"I miss Haily and Read"
"When will company come back again?"

That last one was from Porter. He knows his grandma is going home tomorrow, and so he needs to know when someone he loves will again come visit our home...what a heart of gold.

I'm happy they mourn for their family. I want them to yearn for their roots-my roots. I want them to be desperately drawn to all those who made us who we are through their teachings, their examples, their sweat and their love. If their emotional ties are that connected to those whose blood they share it is more likely that they will remain loyal to the values and testimony of those who they cry for. And that is what I've prayed for as a mother from the start.

Cry on my dears, cry on. And when we meet family again I hope it is with joy that we greet them, and laughter that we enjoy them. And I hope, when our time is again cut short, that you cry and cry again for the chance to be a big "grand family" once more...

No comments: