Friday, November 07, 2008

The privilege of the week


Last November 4 we were living in South Africa. The radio stations boomed with speculation concerning the corruption (yes, corruption) of the young South African democracy. Just one country north of us people were fleeing from oppression from the government in Zimbabwe. Not only were elections in that nation rigged, they were rot with brutality against any who opposed the ruling party.

I hope I learned my lesson.

This week I walked into my children's public school, where a police officer stood to protect, not to persecute. I showed proof of my residency and volunteers; who had arranged for other people to watch their children all day long and who gave of their time and -for some-their wages for the day by judging the election instead of attending to their day jobs, helped me check in and explained the way the ballot worked so I could correctly cast my vote. I was given privacy to select the candidates of my choice and I knew that even if I didn't agree with any of them, my own vote meant something. My ballot was in my possession from the time it was handed to me until the time I put it in the ballot box-no one took and and reviewed my choices, no one tried in the moment of my decision to persuade my by force or fear to choose a different candidate. As I walked out of the building and waved to the police officer I was overcome. Tears fell down my cheeks as I walked to my car and drove on to the rest of the day.

My guy didn't win. And even though I wasn't all that enthusiastic about him I do feel a little deflated with where the philosophies of the other guy's policies might take our nation. But no one is rioting, no guns or fists flying over it. A peaceful transfer of power. A recognition that this nation is what it is because the people choose their leader by public, free and fair elections, and that if their candidate doesn't take the victory they can say what they think of the person who did without fear of harm or oppression. So I can complain in this forum next year when my taxes have been raised and my health care is awash in mess without fearing that the nice policeman who made sure I could vote safely doesn't show up on my doorstep to carry me away or harm one of my children so I'll keep my opinions to myself. I've met people who've been taken away in the middle of the night because they spoke out against public officials. I live a life where I need not fear that someday I could be one of them.

And I have the assurance that when the next election rolls around I can try to change what I don't like with civility and peace instead of coercion and violence. This is not a perfect nation, but it is free, and I find it a humble blessing to be one of its citizens.

Voting is the privilege I'm most grateful for this week. May I ever esteem this right is my hope for this and every election.

A worried "Hail" to the new chief. Happy Friday

2 comments:

Jenny and Josh said...

A professor in my department, who grew up in communist china, is so impressed by our countries peaceful transfer of power. What a great country we live in!
Be sure write to your representatives when you feel passionate about a bill that is being considered in the house and/or senate. In my opinion what matters even more then who is in the white house is how involved everyday people are in the government in the years in between the elections!

Gayle said...

What a great election it has been. No matter what the political philosophies may be. what a great country we live in. May we all work very hard to keep it open and "free" and BALANCED. that is the job of each US citizen.

As one who became aware of the civil rights problems in the country at age 10 and tried hard to teach my children that skin color had nothing to do with how we love and respect each and every child of God on this earth, I can't help but be thrilled that an articulate, well educated man with a passion he has publicly voiced since age 23 was able to work hard and smart and win his goal. He probably spells a lot better than I do too. It is a true reflective experience for me. And the new President can give a really great speech.