Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tea with Grandma



My Grandma is the most propper lady I have ever known. She can teach how not to behave at a dinner table with just one frosty look. And her reverent demeanor in Temple and at Church is a sermon I am glad to have been able to receive.

And now Grandma is growing old. And while she is still quick with her wit, her step is growing slow.

Grandmas and Grandpas are one of the reasons we were glad to move back to Utah. We wanted to be a little more doting on the people who've doted on us over our the course of our lives...

so imagine my happy surprise to find an invitation in my mailbox to a "tea party with Grandma". All daughters, grand daughters and great-grand daughters invited to greet and eat and the home of cousin Liz. Yippee! Girl time with Grandma.

Unfortunately, tea time was also school carnival time and send-the-boys-to-fathers- and-sons-outing time. And it was the day our house was to close in Texas. But the house didn't close and we were left in a quandry for the weekend concerning all things Pacer Way.

A little shell shocked and very over scheduled, we arrived at Grandma's tea underdressed and overstressed. I sat next to my grandma, trying to converse with her while my older daughters tapped their watches demanding a short stay so they could return to the carnival we had just come from. As Grandma looked around and asked me how I was doing I had few words to express the "up in the air" feelings I had concerning the close of our home, the newness of our life back in Utah and the immediate demands of my daughters.

I did not enjoy the moment.

My cousins surrounding me, my sisters and mother near. My Grandma kissing her great-grandbabies and my aunt chit chatting about puppies and kittens. And I, completely pre-occupied.

President Thomas S. Monson has said "Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved." My problems, front and center, took hold of the chance to enjoy the people around me at Grandma's tea. What an important lesson I learned on this busy over scheduled evening.

Thank you Liz for the fantastic gathering. Thank you for all your preparation, for the tea cup and saucer, for the jovial welcome and the opening of your home to all of us! So very sorry to have missed the chance to enjoy the moments with you. I hope you'll give me another try-and that we could gather again. I'll do better this time around. Checking my worries at the door to enjoy time spent with people who matter most.

2 comments:

Carin Davis said...

Living and enjoying the moment can be a struggle for me too...especially with my kids...I allow the worry and to do lists get in the way of the joy too often.

Liz said...

I'm just thrilled you were here to come! I'm sorry you were overwhelmed with life. I do understand that, but still grateful you made time for us.