Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Challenge


Here it is, pilfered off of Stacy Julian's blog. The challenge. Complete with nutritional and exercise guidelines not to mention "feel good" changes for your life (this is the spirit part of the whole mind, body, spirit must all be in balance part of the challenge.)

I used these guidelines last Summer for a month and truly did feel they were a help to me in every way. My clothes fit better, my muscles were stronger, my spirit was happier and my self discipline was strong (that is the mind part of the challenge, to develop discipline over self is a process which takes decision and intelligence...)

So-want to join me? How bout for the month of October? We can do it, can't we? Just for a month to start, then we'll see how we are doing come Halloween. Oh, and the best part of the plan; you take a day off of it once a week so you don't even have to miss all the Halloween goodies you like to enjoy, you just have to plan to enjoy them on your free day!

Summary
The idea is to love yourself just the way you are, but commit to becoming a better version of you, by throwing out anything (like a scale) that sends messages of guilt to your brain. Decide instead to fill your mental bucket with good, uplifting and motivational stuff.

20 Components, First five are a must:

1. Throw away or hide your scale.
2. Purchase, check out or borrow a good book to read from everyday. This could be a book either about realistic exercise or healthy eating/recipes. This could also be some other kind of “self-help” book (on creativity, relationships, goals, etc.)
3. Get at least seven hours of sleep six nights a week!
4. Replace negative self-talk with positive affirmations
5. Refuse to gossip or add negativity to any conversation (walk away or change the subject if it is spoken to you)

Exercise component:
Summary
Six days a week, twice a day. If you are doing aerobic/strength training in the a.m., then you walk in the afternoon/evening. If you are exercising in the evening, then you start each day with a brisk “fresh air” walk. Take one rest day each week.

6. 30 minutes of sustained aerobic exercise 3-4 times per week.
7. 20 to 30 minutes of strength training exercise 2-3 times per week.
8. 15 minute walk (outside) every single day, opposite your exercise.

Nutrition Component:
Food Summary
Six days a week, eat 5 to 6 portion-controlled meals a day. Three of these meals must be eaten sitting down and eaten slow enough to savor each food. DO NOT COUNT CALORIES.

9. Drink 12 to 16 oz of water upon rising.
10. Eat breakfast by 8:00 every day.
11. Correct issues with portion control. In other words, don’t eat too much!
12. Eat 3 fresh, unadulterated servings of fruit/vegetables daily.
13. Do not eat refined sugar (dessert/candy) six days a week.
14. One or less caffeinated/diet drink per day.
15. No fast food (Subway is OK)
16. Eat at least two healthy snacks each day.
17. No eating after 7:00 Monday through Thursday
18. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store for at least 80% of your budget/food
19. Participate in a FREE day, once a week. Eat whatever you want, however you want, in any portion you want and as often as you want!!
20. Drink a total of at least 3 glasses of water between meals each day.


Ok, that pretty much does it and I am in 100% -- how about you?
Please don’t feel you have to accept this entire challenge, if you don’t need to. But, take a good close look at your energy and outlook and then examine how you are spending your time and what you are prioritizing each day, then join in!

5 comments:

Katie said...

I am in, I will start OCT 23 that is when I come home from SLC, I am visiting agian I am so lucky wish you were there or I was going to SA to visit you!

Jessica said...

K - I love that picture of you, very appropriate. I THINK I am prepaired to join you in this quest for a happy mind, body and soul. For myself I think a few adjustments will be made, but for the most part Im with you.

You've been mentioning running races, but what about bike races? Hello - LotoJa relay, we talked about this. You, me, AJ - next August. You should have John work out one of those training schedules he likes to do for us so we can be sure to be ready. :)

Love you & Miss you!

Katie said...

jess-I'd love to train for Lotoja but I have no bike here so I'm looking shorter term. Seriously all I have here are the water bottles filled with dirt and my running shoes, an hour or so in the mornings at an unholy hour and the need for mace or mustard gas if John isn't with me...so I'll do a run this spring and once we get our bikes back-which probably won't be until March-I can see about riding. Glad you are in!

John said...

No one ever follows those training schedules I make!

amanda jane said...

Okay - that is a very complicated list. Regardless of all the complications I think I can swing it somehow! Oh and you don't even need to start biking/training for Lo to JA until March, the reace is in September and you ARE Wonder Woman, remember?