Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A girls' night Extraodinare!



While J has been here we’ve tried to take advantage of as many amazing South African experiences as possible. Recently we experienced one of my favorites so far; an evening with J. and my “big girls” at Disney’s Lion King; the musical. This musical has been in production for several years, and I’ve heard it was terrific. But well, I’ve seen the film, and I know the songs (my kids have serenaded me with them for years..) so I’ve been in no hurry to shell out the $50 per seat to sit through a live version of the DVD that’s sitting on my shelf at home.


Well, being here in Africa, I have heard this production is an absolute must see. So, in the name of creating family memories I agreed to take the girls and J. and to see if it was worth sending the men folk out to sit in the $50 seats on another night.

It is worth it.

First of all, this musical is African, and it is on stage in Africa, with African performers. The literal electricity coming from that audience was tangible; their hands clapping wildly and their enthusiasm heard through loud shouts and hollers. The opening scene involves all these animals congregating to view the latest heir to the lion throne (think the movie…baboon presenting the cub and all). Well, as the singing begins there are actors and actresses in costumes that are larger than life; literally. Playing elephants and giraffes and truly looking the part. As I watched and heard the cheers of the audience as each new animal came from the back of the theatre and proceeded to the stage I found myself in tears (can’t believe I’m admitting this), I was actually really touched by the fact that we have seen these animals portrayed on the stage out in the wild. That whole circle of life thing kind of made me weepy, realizing that the people watching this performance really do have a respect for the animals and wild that surrounds them.

The entire production was a privilege to witness. The performers, especially the woman who plays the part of Rafiki the baboon, were so skilled in their vocal abilities. It was a fantastic night. Add to that the company of my girls and my sis (and some yummy gelato at intermission), what a treat! I can’t wait to send Mason and Porter with John for their turn. Acuna Matada and all that yada yada will be rolling through the house for days and days, and I’ll listen with a smile and think of the fun of this evening and be glad for the serenade.

5 comments:

bet[c] said...

I've seen it twice now and agree, it is great. I can only imagine how terrific it is in Africa! Glad that you are getting to experience so much there.

Youngins said...

You girls are so Beautiful! I'm so jealous of your experience in africa! Can't wait to hear more

amanda jane said...

When in rome, right? love it!

Gayle said...

So glad you all got to see this show! Wow. I loved Madi's blog on the bue rhino school blog. And the great picture of the performer...but it is better to se MY girls!!! Love Mom-Grandm Noodle

Blue said...

if you're gonna see a show about animals in africa, what better place than there?! I love musicals, and have a few on my list of "to see's" incld. Lion King and Wicked. Perhaps I should see WIcked in Kansas (LOL). I'm having fun catching up on your blog...was out of town for a week with my sister's adoption. All went smoothly and I have the cutest little nephew...he's half african (nigerian. to be exact). anyway, thanks for sharing your experience. i, too, always cry at things like musicals, great talent being shared in a show/performance, or patriotism etc. i'm just a big softy. ♥