Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sisters Parting


That is what this statue is called. J and I saw it in the Botanical Gardens in Cape Town, and knowing her departure was looming I couldn't help but take its photo to help me remember how I should behave at our parting. With joy for my sister to go forward, even showing her the way forward with happiness.

Sadly, our parting was not so noble. I cried like a baby and held her like she was my child, my baby I had to give up to the world. It isn't that I feel I'm her mother, it is just that I have enjoyed experiencing Jessica; she is such a thing of beauty. Her perspective is fresh, her soul is good, her ideas are amazing and her talents overflow. To have her around my daughters, my children, has been such a blessing for them. To know they can watch her every move, and follow in her footsteps makes me happy; because I know her steps will be sure and they will lead her in a direction of joy and fulfillment and happiness.

You know, I was the first person besides my parents to see Jessa enter this world. She was born at home, quite by accident, and I walked in on the scene. She is no less beautiful, no less amazing then she was the first time I layed eyes on her. In some ways I can claim a closeness to her because of that experience, and my interest in her happiness is a little more fierce because I so clearly remember her little perfect body and the sound of her tiny quiet cry on that cold October night when she entered this world.

But at this time we must part. All good things must come to an end and now it is time for our good thing, Our Jessa, our J, to end her time in Africa and face the big world she lives in. We will miss you Jessa. We love you. As two sisters parting, I'm so thankful you are mine long after this adventure in Africa is over. With all my love I send you off, be happy and go the way toward your happiness my sister!

6 comments:

amanda jane said...

What a cool monument! I love your thoughts an Jess - Ditto from me!

Blue said...

are your parents in need of another daughter? cause i'd be delighted to be your sister if they'd like to adopt me. :-) ♥

Bonnie said...

If that happened, I would have an aunt Katie! :-)
♥ Bonnie ♥

Bonnie said...

P.S. And Bryn would be my cousin!!! Not to mention all the rest of em'.....

Katie said...

It's official, J. and Bonnie are in! Welcome to the sisterhood ladies. Bryn would love more cousins, and i can use all the sisters I can get...

Jessica said...

Honestly - I have not replied to this post because I have felt so unworthy of the kind things spoken about me. All that I am or ever will be able to be is because of my family, my great sisters, with out them I don't have a chance.

I LOVE YOU ALL!