Monday, September 10, 2007

Lucy, Come back!


Our Lucy Duc has, like the rest of us, endured a week of illness. Lucy has been, to say the least, difficult for me to comfort, and console. Part of this difficulty lies in the fact that since Lucy's fever struck she has become, well, clingy. Now, I'm all for comforting the sick and the weary. I'm fully aware of my responsibility as a mom to hold and care for my little ones when they are feeling low. I embrace that responsibility and I must say I think I'm even good at. But Lucy has not let me put her down in a weeks time, and for sure it is starting to wear. The sad feverish eyes look up at me. The arms outstretched. The cry inconsolable unless she is held in my arms, Lucy has only had eyes for me during this long and difficult illness. Where are her happy laughs and her peek-a-bo games? Where are the nights when she'd wrap her arms around her daddy's neck and "hug him tight, like this..."? gone, long gone and seemingly forgotten. The worst is that Lucy extends her need for mom's arms cuddled around her long past my normal hours of operation. I've had her asleep on my stomach so many nights Ifeel I've got a permanant indentation where she lays her head to rest. I miss my little Lucy for all the time i'm spending with her. Not used to a clingy kid and kind of ready for her sunshine to return...

3 comments:

John said...

She's getting close. She did a little Lula dance yesterday and gave me a couple of "Wa wa wa wa...wa wa"s. I knew she was getting close when she gave me a bit toothy grin.

John said...

She's officially back. She's jumping up and down on Katie while Katie is trying to read. For those about to rock...

Gayle said...

Time, blessed time, brings to balance back into our lives even during illness, physical and/or emotional. Hope John is right and Lucy is back, and Molly, and Porter,and Madi, and Bryn, and Mason, and Katie and John and Jess. I soooo hope this is over for you all! Love you Mom-Grandma Noodle