Monday, June 16, 2008

good signs of summer



I spent more time in my car last week driving kids from A to B than I have done in many many months. Soccer camp, piano lessons, gymnastics team, play school, swimming lessons, scout camp. I remember why I have always been the archaic "I don't book my kids up for the summer" mom. We did not once sit under a tree. We did not make lemonade. We did not run through the sprinklers. How do we balance the "my kids need to develop their talents" with "my kids need to do chores and play" ? Still trying to figure it out.

The two photos taken above indicate that somewhere in all the running around we are trying to enjoy the essence of summer. Pruned fingers and naked babies in the swimming pool. Those are for sure some of the things summer was always meant to be.

coming tomorrow; a glimpse into our attempts to teach our kids a work ethic, and later in the week we'll show off our blackberry jam...

2 comments:

Jenny and Josh said...

Naked babies in the swimming pool have never been the essences of summer to me. :)

Unknown said...

You can envision me doing an impersonation of Bill Murray if we have too many naked babies in the swimming pool.