Tuesday, June 17, 2008

To instill a work ethic...




clip boards which hold the chore chart. Daily work includes taking care of the bedroom, picking up after oneself, working on some "academic housekeeping" which means reading, math and a summer journal writing assignment. They also take a "quiet minute" for themselves each morning to say morning prayers and read scripture and practice the piano. Each week the kids are assigned a house chore they need to learn how to do. Each day they draw a "Popsicle job"which means drawing a stick out of their assigned jar to see which other job they'll help with for the day (changing the laundry, cleaning out cupboards, dusting or vacuuming-whatever they need to learn how to do sufficiently). All the Popsicle job descriptions are kept on a ring on the magnet board, so everyone knows what is expected for the job to be complete. Once a week the kids prepare, serve, and clean up dinner (and the kitchen) with mom. If it is their dinner night it is also their dog day, which means on that day they feed, water, walk and clean up after the dog. Once a week there is a "fun outing" with mom. Twice a week they play with friends.

Mason also completes one requirement toward his eagle scout or faith in God awards each day.

I'm in tears over the fact that "vegetable garden" is not on the chore list this year. First year in 6 that I haven't had a garden. It will be the last year-the garden is a must, look for it next summer in the chore charts to come!

Seems like a lot to keep track of, but it -finally- is organized so now all it takes is me, running from child to child each morning, to help and train them to do the jobs correctly.

It is my craving for organization coming to fruition. The free radicals come every day as kids do or don't do their chores...some on time (before 9 a.m.) and some dragging through the day(Mason finished yesterday at like 1 p.m. uggh!).

A big part of summer; learning how to work.

7 comments:

Blue said...

Katie!
You don't know this, but I was about to ask, perhaps in a blog post or maybe just email, some of my favorite SuperMoms (you, Angie, Betsy etc) if you'd share some of your methods for teaching your children how to work. I feel kind of lame in my abilities in this realm, but also that it's really important and vital to good parenting. Thanks for sharing your post. It was your answer to my unasked question. I just need lots of ideas, because so far I've never really developed any kind of system or program, and I really want my kids to have a better foundation than I did. I don't know what will work with our little family, but I love the inspiration. You're amazing! ♥

Bonnie said...

I think that is a great idea...even if I don't like working very much, it would keep our house MUCH cleaner.

desertblue said...

You are so organized! Can I send my kids to come live with you for a few months??? We struggle just to keep our kids' rooms clean around here...

amanda jane said...

I know that super mom is on your goal list, so you can just cross that off for today. can I just hire you to teach this to my girls? you know they would do it for you with no whining and they would talk in reverent hushed tones about that time that aunt Katie taught them to clean out the cupboards.... I love you girl!!!!

Liz said...

Just go ahead and send me a copy of all that stuff and it will save me alot of time trying figure it out myself! Sounds like a great system and I see know reason for both of us to take all that time to do it.

Will Murdoch said...

I am beyond impressed. With only four kids I struggle with teaching them to work and getting them organized. I love your system. Thanks for sharing!

Mrs. O said...

I love that you have the job descriptions on a ring nearby (do you happen to have them in a word file?)