Thursday, June 26, 2008

Plugged In...


Sometimes it is hard to believe how "plugged in" our little familial society really is. Although I designate Thursday, Friday and Saturday as "screen days" (meaning these are the only days our children use screens of any kind for entertainment, whether it is TV or computers or video games) I find we are all huddled around this giant MAC at least once a day while I check email or put up a blog post (all the kids are glued to a screen right now as I post this to you, as today is Thursday...). They beg for TV constantly and our "big 3", especially Mason, are always saying how unfair and how old fashioned I am that I don't release the grip I've long had on media in our home.

Our latest infatuation is over music-with Ipods, CD players and Itunes on the MAC, it is easier than ever for the kids to access a beat from anywhere in the house. Bryn actually worked tirelessly to earn almost all she needed to purchase her own Ipod, so she is now plugged into that world more regularly than I'd like. Her older brother is sure to follow, and Madi is currently working hard to earn the old Ipod I have sitting in my night stand. Having to ask the kids to "unplug" so I can talk to them has caused me to internally sigh more than a few times. So hard for me to get a handle on. I listened with pained heart as our six year old screamed out the words to Good Charlotte's "Bloody Valentine" while sweeping the kitchen floor the other day. How do we introduce music that is fun for all ages, but has words that are G-rated? I know I can request to swap Ipod playlists, but I don't begin to pretend that I know how to do that. I'm still stuck in the days of pushing fast forward on the Cd player when a less than desirable bunch of vocals ques up on a CD we own. Spending yet more time on the computer to surf good songs seems a catch 22 in the whole quandary about how to balance screens, tunes and media in general...

what are your philosophies concerning media in your home? How much do you let in, and to what benefit? I'd love to hear your thoughts, and glean from your ideas.

Time to "unplug" I guess. Bye for now

8 comments:

Mel said...

Hi Katie

your TV, computer and media device is an "invited guest" and when the time comes the "guest" leaves. In our home two things are never cried over and that is the TV and the computer. They are non essential and are just to make the "ride" more fun. Books are far more fun.
Your a good mom with you children's future in your heart.
Love Melissa (South Africa)

Jenny and Josh said...

Mason,...and siblings.
I just want you to hear it from another source that what your Mom and Dad are doing is the best thing for you!! They do it because they love you. It would be SO much easier for your mom to just let you watch all the TV you want. She has chosen a path that comes with all the complaining that you give her. And she chose that harder path because she loves more then anything! And she knows (and I know too!) that it would make you, happier, more intelligent, healthy, and just all around better people. So don't be so hard on your Mom, she is just showing you she loves you. :)
Love, Aunt Jenny

Jenny and Josh said...

P.S.
Just so you know brain development peaks between the ages of birth-3 and then again between the ages of 12 and 15. (Those are the peak ages but your brain is constantly "re-wiring" itself so this still applies to you Porter, Madi, and Bryn!)Studies show that 3 dimensional stimuli (playing outside, building things etc.) creates optimal synapses development. Where as 2 dimensional stimuli (watching TV etc.) is not very helpful to synapses development, in fact in may even harm that development! So less TV = a better brain!

Jessica said...

Amen to what Jenny & Mel said, and good luck to you KT! Wish I had some good ideas for you, maybe though when its my turn you will have some for me. ;)

amanda jane said...

I saw an idea from "my happy little life" a while ago - they ahve to earn tokens and then pay you the tokens to watch among other things. might be worth a read - I am thinking it's time to implement something in our house as well. so far they still are not plugged into anything but pbs kids, lucky me! but I can feel it a commin my way so I'll be watching how you do it too...

http://kellymccaleb.typepad.com/my_happy_little_life/2008/03/a-new-hope.html

Blue said...

we don't have cable. just rabbit ears on our set in the basement. thus the only channels we get are PBS and KBYU. My kids watch Nature and Nova on PBS and that's it. We check out movies from the library or get redbox rentals...so that's easy to control. Bunch wants an Ipod really bad, and is saving for one. We gave her a stereo for her 11th birthday, and thankfully she seems to be drawn to the older hits (the ones I listened to as a teen) rather than some of the new stuff that I'm less familiar with. But she's still in Primary. I know Jr. High and HS & YW will bring a completely new set of challenges. I'm sure you'll do a fine job of navigating these years with your kids. They're all so great and have strong foundations. ♥

Liz said...

We have a system of 1/2 hour of electronic time a day. Use it how you'd like. Sometimes we grant them more, like when a friend comes over that they have been hoping to play a certain game, or if we will be going on a trip or even when I have to go somewhere and the kids are all worked up and Christpher needs a little help while babysittin and a movie is just the ticket. For the normal day we do 1/2 hour and sometimes it is their DS gameboy and sometimes it's computer, and sometimes it isn't used at all, (and that is great)but it is something that they have some control and manage on their own.
For what it's worth
Liz

Gayle said...

I really never thought I would have to worry about this at all. I would just be the Grandma and enforce the rules you Moms and Dads made for you children, as I really do respect your decisions and family rules. It just dawned on me as I read this post that I will have to go through this with Alexander and I am 5 x mor techo challenged than anyone. Please, get this all worked out so I can just follow everything you all do!

I really like the idea of giving the kids, especially the older ones, choice in all this in a controlled way as Liz has done. And the idea of tokens I think is a good one. ther are many creative wasy to do this...I am glad that I only had TV and Music to worry about with the 6 of you...I was overwhelmed enough with that!

Jenny's educational info has really helped me with Alex and I hope she will continue to learn and to share the technical side of human developement.