Friday, October 23, 2009

It's What's Inside that Counts


My purse is a product of South African resourcefulness. Woven from cotton t-shirts onto a canvas of corn meal sack. Mielie is a fair trade company, which means you actually pay the women for the value of their work. Worth every penny


On any given day you will find these things traveling inside my purse;

*Black billfold (Kind of wishing for something with more personality, but function must come first!)
*Car Insurance card
*Small packet of baby wipes. Mostly used now for faces and sticky hands. Still a must for my handbag.
*Green Zig writer pen. Usually in company with various other pens and pencils. In case you can't tell, I like to write.
*My trusty Canon SD600 elph. In its black case. With an extra battery. Document daily life for our family since 2004.
*Neutrogena daily moisturizer SPF30. With essential soy to reduce blotchiness and dark spots.
*Tylenol Extra Strength Rapid Release Gels. To be combined with one can of Regular Coca-Cola should a migraine loom. That cocktail has saved me from cranial misery on many occasions.
*1 red crayola marker.
*1 Black, 1 grass green and 1 french blue Pilot G-2 (07). My favorite writing instrument. Doesn't bleed through paper. permanent and archival. I use one of these every night to document the goodness of God in my diary.
*A coin purse. Made from recycled plastic, reads "my allowance". Bless you John for being more generous than that!
*A mini tape measure
*1 piece of chewed up gum, wrapped in a letter from Olympus High school with details about Madi's performance in their musical "the Music Man".
*My broken Swiss Army Watch. So unfortunate.
*A Target Grocery List
*Oxi-Clean Spray-Away Instant stain remover. Carried it for almost a year now, Never used it.
*Green "Real Simple" business card carrier. Very Very useful when you can find it in the cavern of the purse.
*key to John's car
*My favorite red bracelet (I have many favorites. This is the favorite that is the color red...) along with some of my African beaded bracelets. You never know when you'll need to accessorize...
*Porter's glasses (He asked me to hold them for him)
*paper clip, rubber ball, rubber ear cover for my wireless phone ear piece (the ear piece stays in the car).
*4 lip stains; Mac "lovechild" lip gloss, Burt's Bees "Fig" lip shimmer, IR "Wanted Rouge" purchased in the Airport in Japan while traveling home with Lucy some 3 years ago, And Mac "Twig" Satin, my everyday all the time lip favorite.
*Wrapped in purple tissue paper, 4 charms from Boise ID. Purchased for the girl's charm bracelets.
*My cel phone. Pink leather cover for protection.
* My car keys, carried from a carabener that hangs off the handle of my bag.
*Various odd receipts and scraps of paper. Some gum wrappers (usually there is a pack of gum too, but we are trying to keep gum the sacrament meeting secret weapon, so I don't make it too accessible during the week!)

I noticed that I don't have a photo of my family, accept on my phone. That needs to be remedied. I also need to keep a tiny writing book with me always. To make notes when the girls say or do terrific things. And to keep ideas about what I'd like to think and explore through the daily posts of this blog.

What do you carry with you? Take a look this weekend and post. What a fun way to see what you keep with you at all times when you are away from home.

Happy Weekend.



6 comments:

Jessica said...

KT, your bag is like Marry Poppin's carpet bag! So many treasures inside! I am pretty boring - just my old over the shoulder black purse with my billfold, phone, pocket calendar (that I never use) and a pen - oh and the must have Burt's chapstick.

Jessica said...

Oh ya - my glasses are in there too, I really should wear those more, you know to actually be safe when driving at night. :)

John said...

Electronics and accompanying power cords:
* Laptop
* Blackberry
* iPhone
* Kindle
* Shuffle
* Multiple thumb drives
Paper
Pens
Folders of work stuff
Same Real Simple card case, except brown, with frequent fly/stay/drive cards out the wazoo
Usually a rulebook or two
A book, redundant with said Kindle, but allowed during takeoff and landing
Airline tickets past and present
Crumpled up receipts
Business cards
Gum, just in case I find myself in a sacrament meeting in an airport somewhere

Becky said...

Seriously! Hello, Mary Poppins. I have diapers, diapers, wipes, and bigger diapers, and snacks. No money.

John said...

Oh yeah, and noise cancelling headphones. Woo hoo!

amanda jane said...

comb and spray bottle
camera
billfold
mobile phone
keys
measuring tape
pen and permanant marker
notepad
calendar/mommy brain saver
reusable shopping bags
lots of reciepts
larabar - whole ingredient goodness
almonds
and ususally a water bottle.
oh, and a bribe of candy too.

somehow I feel I am missing something compared to your list. next provident project is a new bag to hold all the items!