Friday, October 09, 2009

On Tulips


An original painting left for us by the artist, who happened to to have designed and built our home on Pacer Way.



This morning I didn't work out. I was up on time to sweat, but I instead sat in the comfy leather chair and read scripture. I wrote in my diary of the good things the Lord has done for me and mine over the last day or two. And I thought about this story. I heard it in a meeting of the Relief Society of our church. It was told by a wise apostle, President Henry B. Eyring:

"I talked with a Relief Society member about a visit she had made. It was to a woman who would soon lose her husband suddenly and tragically. In recent years the woman had only intermittent contact with Relief Society. The visitor prepared by stopping at a shop to buy flowers. It was a season when the tulips were stacked for sale in many colors. She chose one color, her favorite, but then felt impressed to try another. She didn’t know why she selected yellow, but she did. When she presented the yellow tulips at the door, the woman smiled and said, “Come. See my backyard garden.” It was filled with yellow tulips in full bloom. The woman said, “I was just wondering if I should cut some for the house. But now I can leave them and enjoy them a little longer in my garden because you brought me these.” They chatted pleasantly as if they were old friends. From that impression to bring some flowers and to choose yellow tulips, that visiting teacher had evidence that she was on the Lord’s errand. When she told me, I could hear the joy in her voice."

As I thought of this simple account of a woman feeling inspired in a very small thing, I wondered who needed yellow tulips from me today. And as I wondered this a very little voice whispered an idea to my heart. Today-and every day-someone needs yellow tulips (in the way of a phone call, a hug, a note in the mail, a text message or a home made meal) from you. Who is it today?

Another very wise man, one of the most wonderful Stake Presidents I have ever known, implored those whom he looked after to seek that little inspiration every day which invites us to minister to the one. In his words, he asked us to pray each morning to know whom the Lord would have us minister to that day, and to stay on our knees until something-a whisper, an idea, a little tugging feeling-was directed toward someone else. Perhaps a member of our family. Maybe a neighbor, or a friend living far away. President Riding further encouraged us to write down that thought or feeling on a little note card, and to carry around that card until you have completed that errand. And then report on your deeds to the Lord in your evening prayers.When I followed this council, I felt truly connected to heaven. And you know what? Often I found that others felt inspired to serve one of my own-and even to serve me.


So I ask again, who needs yellow tulips from you today? Find out, and like the woman in the the story above, feel joy in being on an errand for the Lord.

happy weekend.

p.s. To hear other wise words of President Eyring, go here now.




No comments: