Monday, October 05, 2009

Camping with Six


The six pose at the conclusion of our successful camping trip

*Begins late, because it takes a whole lot of gear and packing for six kids to sleep warm in a tent.
*Continues with putting up a tent, on a gravel tent site, in the darkCan you say ("I've got a knot in my back!").

*Includes food; s'mores by the fire, breakfast and lunch...and a dinner bought at the Apollo Burger on the way up the canyon.
*Involves multiple lists of things to remember "next time". Things like cash to pay for the camp site, baby wipes for sticky marshmallow faces, and MY sleeping bag (where is that super warm cacoon anyway?)

*Concludes with a hike. Which conclusion took place before lunch because we ran out of firewood. And we ran out of cash, so we couldn't buy more firewood.

Lunch was served at our house, followed by afternoon naps and showers.
A good "first try" for these six. We've not been camping for 3 full years. So for me, it was a success because we actually did set up a tent somewhere besides our back yard. And we slept in that tent. And we sat by a campfire. And we went on a hike. And we would do it again.

Did I say would? I meant will.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

So great... just realized that except for Aspen Grove and breakfast in the canyon we have NEVER camped with our girls. How can that be?

Oh yeah, we live in Texas.

Gayle said...

Hey, they look great! must have been a pretty fair first time out!

I love camping...at least I did. Have not been for many years. My Dad and Mom would go up to the canyon on a second's notice. wallla..., it seemed, we were there.

Now we both know how much organization that took for Grandma Read. There were only 4 kids max, but there was always someone in diapers the years we lived in SLC. And off we would go.

I love the sound of the canyons/ the smell of the trees of course, and the sky, day or night. I loved doing Girls camp for so long just so I could go camp! ( and learn more about camping)

I hope you will make this a wonderful family activity, that it becomes second nature to you and to the kids. Keep those lists in a very safe place...but use them soon. Just pack up what you can and just have it ready in the garage to add to it and just take off for a wonderful time-- just your family, all together in this beautiful world